Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,
    Studying pharmacy has made me realise that it doesn't give me the patient communication that I believed it did. Pharmacy was my dream career and all 5 of my uni options but through research I came across graduate entry dentistry and having never considered it before, I didn't realise so much of what i wanted from a course was delivered via dentistry. So my question is: Could I leave my pharmacy degree after 3 years to obtain a BSc in Pharmaceutical Studies and then apply for graduate entry dentistry or would I have to finish my 4/5 years? Any advice that may be relevant would be a great help. Time isn't an issue but although i really love pharmacy, growing older I realise i was naive in not researching other healthcare career. NB- assume i have the entry requirements for the BDS programme.

ReputationRep:
    Why would you obtain a BSc in Pharmaceutical studies? Is this required for Graduate Entry Dentistry? Also, I have heard that it looks bad if you leave a degree without completing it and if I were you, I would complete my pharmacy degree first if that's the case. I'm in a similar position to you though. I am also considering doing dentistry after my degree.*

ReputationRep:
    I would fully recommend that you finish the MPharm first, try to do as well as you can, then apply, plus the pharmacy degree will always be a fail-safe. what year are you in now? how old are you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aminaubah)
    Why would you obtain a BSc in Pharmaceutical studies? Is this required for Graduate Entry Dentistry? Also, I have heard that it looks bad if you leave a degree without completing it and if I were you, I would complete my pharmacy degree first if that's the case. I'm in a similar position to you though. I am also considering doing dentistry after my degree.*
    I have to obtain a degree for graduate entry but I totally agree, it would actually seem as though I have a quitters attitude. What degree are you doing and have you any work experience for dentistry?

ReputationRep:
    I know two girls who left biomedical science for Dentistry after first year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hamzalcapone97)
    I would fully recommend that you finish the MPharm first, try to do as well as you can, then apply, plus the pharmacy degree will always be a fail-safe. what year are you in now? how old are you?
    Im in third year right now and im 22 because I had a gap year to work and travel, I think I'll finish the degree because it is only 1 year left (2 if I decide to be a qualified practicing pharmacist which im thinking about). Thanks for your advice, definitely going to finish it though, cheers for the advice

ReputationRep:
    You are only 22, I would say graduate and qualify as a pharmacist. That means if you decide to do dentistry or even medicine or politics or a PHD, you will always have pharmacy as an option. Plus you can work part time during future studies and full time during summer holidays. And being a pharmacist is also a very viable option. You are still young, thing of 20-30 years in the future, choose what will make you happy in the long term, wish you the best of luck 😃

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.