3 years of MPharm and doing graduate entry dentistry?

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,
    Studying pharmacy has made me realise that it doesn't give me the patient communication that I believed it did. Pharmacy was my dream career and all 5 of my uni options but through research I came across graduate entry dentistry and having never considered it before, I didn't realise so much of what i wanted from a course was delivered via dentistry. So my question is: Could I leave my pharmacy degree after 3 years to obtain a BSc in Pharmaceutical Studies and then apply for graduate entry dentistry or would I have to finish my 4/5 years? Any advice that may be relevant would be a great help. Time isn't an issue but although i really love pharmacy, growing older I realise i was naive in not researching other healthcare career. NB- assume i have the entry requirements for the BDS programme.

ReputationRep:
    Why would you obtain a BSc in Pharmaceutical studies? Is this required for Graduate Entry Dentistry? Also, I have heard that it looks bad if you leave a degree without completing it and if I were you, I would complete my pharmacy degree first if that's the case. I'm in a similar position to you though. I am also considering doing dentistry after my degree.*

ReputationRep:
    I would fully recommend that you finish the MPharm first, try to do as well as you can, then apply, plus the pharmacy degree will always be a fail-safe. what year are you in now? how old are you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aminaubah)
    Why would you obtain a BSc in Pharmaceutical studies? Is this required for Graduate Entry Dentistry? Also, I have heard that it looks bad if you leave a degree without completing it and if I were you, I would complete my pharmacy degree first if that's the case. I'm in a similar position to you though. I am also considering doing dentistry after my degree.*
    I have to obtain a degree for graduate entry but I totally agree, it would actually seem as though I have a quitters attitude. What degree are you doing and have you any work experience for dentistry?

ReputationRep:
    I know two girls who left biomedical science for Dentistry after first year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hamzalcapone97)
    I would fully recommend that you finish the MPharm first, try to do as well as you can, then apply, plus the pharmacy degree will always be a fail-safe. what year are you in now? how old are you?
    Im in third year right now and im 22 because I had a gap year to work and travel, I think I'll finish the degree because it is only 1 year left (2 if I decide to be a qualified practicing pharmacist which im thinking about). Thanks for your advice, definitely going to finish it though, cheers for the advice

ReputationRep:
    You are only 22, I would say graduate and qualify as a pharmacist. That means if you decide to do dentistry or even medicine or politics or a PHD, you will always have pharmacy as an option. Plus you can work part time during future studies and full time during summer holidays. And being a pharmacist is also a very viable option. You are still young, thing of 20-30 years in the future, choose what will make you happy in the long term, wish you the best of luck 😃

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 12, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you prefer to be told about sex by your:
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.