Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is anyone else really nervous about starting uni? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm literally dreading it for so many reasons. One of the main things im scared about is everyone on my course being a lot more clever than I am, the entry requirements for ny course are aab but sheffield still accepted me with 3 b's and i feel that everyone else will have done a lot better. I've also been allocated an all girls flat and i'm scared the girls will be really *****y and mean. Also i actually have no idea how uni works and what lectures will be like, i don't feel prepared at all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _amy_r)
    I'm literally dreading it for so many reasons. One of the main things im scared about is everyone on my course being a lot more clever than I am, the entry requirements for ny course are aab but sheffield still accepted me with 3 b's and i feel that everyone else will have done a lot better. I've also been allocated an all girls flat and i'm scared the girls will be really *****y and mean. Also i actually have no idea how uni works and what lectures will be like, i don't feel prepared at all
    First thing, pretty much everyone has uni nerves, so don't worry about that, you aren't alone. Harsh but true: yes, there will be people who you think are more clever than you. Even the smartest people can often feel like they aren't up to par with the rest of their coursemates sometimes. There will be things people will say that will make you feel bad about yourself sometimes, but you just have to remember that regardless of grades, your uni accepted you because they believe that you can succeed on your course. They absolutely wouldn't have accepted you if they had any doubt because they care about their rankings too much to let someone in if they think that person won't succeed. Your uni believed in you, you should believe in yourself too. Being the smartest isn't everything. You will have so many other qualities that other people don't have. Don't compare yourself to others at uni because you're likely to only point out the bad things about yourself and that's a sure fire way to be miserable.

Chances are that those girls are having the same feelings as you. My philosophy is that even if they do turn out to be really mean (which is highly unlikely that all girls in your flat are meanies), well you can't change it now so why worry about it? Absolutely nothing you do right now can change the personalities of those girls (and remember, they might actually be really nice anyway), so why spend your time worrying about something that you 1. can't change and 2. can't predict? Lectures are basically large rooms full of people where a lecturer will stand at the front and talk at you for an hour or two. They will usually have a powerpoint presentation to go along with that. You are expected to take notes from the lecture (not everything on the screen or that comes out of the lecturers mouth - that is impossible and a waste of time trying anyway). You use your time out of class to do your reading, which will broaden your understanding of the topic, work on tutorial preparation and work on coursework.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GoingToBurst)
    First thing, pretty much everyone has uni nerves, so don't worry about that, you aren't alone. Harsh but true: yes, there will be people who you think are more clever than you. Even the smartest people can often feel like they aren't up to par with the rest of their coursemates sometimes. There will be things people will say that will make you feel bad about yourself sometimes, but you just have to remember that regardless of grades, your uni accepted you because they believe that you can succeed on your course. They absolutely wouldn't have accepted you if they had any doubt because they care about their rankings too much to let someone in if they think that person won't succeed. Your uni believed in you, you should believe in yourself too. Being the smartest isn't everything. You will have so many other qualities that other people don't have. Don't compare yourself to others at uni because you're likely to only point out the bad things about yourself and that's a sure fire way to be miserable.

Chances are that those girls are having the same feelings as you. My philosophy is that even if they do turn out to be really mean (which is highly unlikely that all girls in your flat are meanies), well you can't change it now so why worry about it? Absolutely nothing you do right now can change the personalities of those girls (and remember, they might actually be really nice anyway), so why spend your time worrying about something that you 1. can't change and 2. can't predict? Lectures are basically large rooms full of people where a lecturer will stand at the front and talk at you for an hour or two. They will usually have a powerpoint presentation to go along with that. You are expected to take notes from the lecture (not everything on the screen or that comes out of the lecturers mouth - that is impossible and a waste of time trying anyway). You use your time out of class to do your reading, which will broaden your understanding of the topic, work on tutorial preparation and work on coursework.

Awww thank you so so much, this has really reassured me. I really appreciate the lengthy reply, i'll do my best to have an open mind about my flat mates and will work so hard at uni.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hello

What are you are feeling is completely natural of you - it's experienced by a majority of university students and is fairly common.

That first worry you mentioned, about other students being more intelligent than you, I can understand that. During Freshers Week at university I ended up meeting up with my lecturer for a coffee and discussing some of my worries - this was one of them. She explained to me that at the beginning, it's all about ensuring everybody is on the same level - whether people are more comfortable with that level or not just depends on the knowledge people have. Don't worry! Everyone has different experiences and knowledge, you'll know areas that other don't and vice versa but it's a learning experience!

I would attempt not to go into your accommodation with that mindset - chances are they will be really lovely and you'll have a nice time with them. However remember, sometimes there will be people that you just don't like and vice versa but at the end of the day, just be social and friendly and you'll be okay!

It's completely common to feel completely and utterly unprepared for university as you realise that you are actually going. Lectures and the university experience can differ from university to university but it will be okay! Just jump in feet first and embrace the whole experience.

You will be fine!

ReputationRep:
    I'm super worried about making friends. I'm a pretty chatty guy when I'm drunk but when I'm not I'm quite reserved. Plus I'm from freaking rural Wales whereas everyone I've spoken to is from the city, so I'm worried that'll cause a barrier, just in how different we are. I've also no met any guys on my psychology course, which concerns me a little bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elastichedgehog)
    I'm super worried about making friends. I'm a pretty chatty guy when I'm drunk but when I'm not I'm quite reserved. Plus I'm from freaking rural Wales whereas everyone I've spoken to is from the city, so I'm worried that'll cause a barrier, just in how different we are. I've also no met any guys on my psychology course, which concerns me a little bit.
    Aw same i'm worried about making friends as well, i'm quite reserved too. And i'm sure there will be loads of guys on your course, they're probably just not on facebook. And if not im sure you'll have boys in your flat and you'll meet loads at freshers??

ReputationRep:
    Aw same i'm worried about making friends as well, i'm quite reserved too. And i'm sure there will be loads of guys on your course, they're probably just not on facebook. And if not im sure you'll have boys in your flat and you'll meet loads at freshers??
    Thanks for trying to reassure me You're going to be fine as well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustGeorgeJ)
    Hello

What are you are feeling is completely natural of you - it's experienced by a majority of university students and is fairly common.

That first worry you mentioned, about other students being more intelligent than you, I can understand that. During Freshers Week at university I ended up meeting up with my lecturer for a coffee and discussing some of my worries - this was one of them. She explained to me that at the beginning, it's all about ensuring everybody is on the same level - whether people are more comfortable with that level or not just depends on the knowledge people have. Don't worry! Everyone has different experiences and knowledge, you'll know areas that other don't and vice versa but it's a learning experience!

I would attempt not to go into your accommodation with that mindset - chances are they will be really lovely and you'll have a nice time with them. However remember, sometimes there will be people that you just don't like and vice versa but at the end of the day, just be social and friendly and you'll be okay!

It's completely common to feel completely and utterly unprepared for university as you realise that you are actually going. Lectures and the university experience can differ from university to university but it will be okay! Just jump in feet first and embrace the whole experience.

You will be fine!
    Thank you so much x

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.