Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I've been wondering about something. Blood flows through your veins and arteries, right? So when say, you cut yourself and you bleed, does this mean that you've also cut into a vein/artery? Or does blood freely flow around everywhere as well as through veins and arteries?
meandegreen
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I've been wondering about something. Blood flows through your veins and arteries, right? So when say, you cut yourself and you bleed, does this mean that you've also cut into a vein/artery? Or does blood freely flow around everywhere as well as through veins and arteries?
Okay so don't quote me on this but I know you have capillaries which are much smaller than veins and arteries so I'm guessing that's what you cut, there are lots of them and they are directly beneath the skin. Capillaries also can burst when the skin is hit, which makes a bruise. (Come through GCSE Biology!) A vein or artery would be a lot more dangerous and have more blood than just a small cut on your finger or something like that.
username1539513
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
There are smaller blood vessels called capillaries which you can also cut into. Yes blood only gets around via veins, arteries and capillaries
NPWorld
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It depends on the size/depth of the cut. Generally the blood comes from capillaries in minor cuts and grazes. But if the cut is deeper, then blood could originate from vein or artery, which could be more dangerous. A ruptured major vessel could easily be fatal.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by meandegreen)
Okay so don't quote me on this but I know you have capillaries which are much smaller than veins and arteries so I'm guessing that's what you cut, there are lots of them and they are directly beneath the skin. Capillaries also can burst when the skin is hit, which makes a bruise. (Come through GCSE Biology!) A vein or artery would be a lot more dangerous and have more blood than just a small cut on your finger or something like that.

(Original post by NPWorld)
It depends on the size/depth of the cut. Generally the blood comes from capillaries in minor cuts and grazes. But if the cut is deeper, then blood could originate from vein or artery, which could be more dangerous. A ruptured major vessel could easily be fatal.
Oooooh capillaries!! I completely forgot about them... Now it makes so much more sense
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (14)
11.86%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (29)
24.58%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (51)
43.22%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (20)
16.95%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
3.39%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed