Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by drago di giada)
    What's so interesting about it? I'm presbyterian, go to church every weekend, wear two crosses on my person. Yet I believe in the death penalty... in some cases.
    I think he meant that you should all be against the death penalty given what Exodus 20:13 says, I think. Maybe he finds the links interesting?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DazYa20000)
    I think he meant that you should all be against the death penalty given what Exodus 20:13 says, I think. Maybe he finds the links interesting?
    HAHA, you aren't even DazYa, lol.

(Original post by Invisible)
    HAHA, you aren't even DazYa, lol.
    Sshhh. U can tell? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    http://www.deathpenaltyreligious.org...sbyterian.html

Interesting....
    these people need to read the Bible a little bit further, beacuse in the Bible it say eye for a eye, I don't know how you inturpret that but to me it means if you do somthing then in return that thing must be done to you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superman663j7)
    these people need to read the Bible a little bit further, beacuse in the Bible it say eye for a eye, I don't know how you inturpret that but to me it means if you do somthing then in return that thing must be done to you
    But who said an eye for an eye though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DazYa20000)
    Either that or he's finally lost his mind.

ReputationRep:
    I thought a philosopher said an eye for an eye. Or was it hamurabi's code? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    you chose to leave out the last bit there i think it's actually an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. Anyway i don't see why non christian people (and there's a fair few of them out there) should follow the bible. I don't think religion can be used as an argument

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BloodyValentine)
    you chose to leave out the last bit there i think it's actually an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. Anyway i don't see why non christian people (and there's a fair few of them out there) should follow the bible. I don't think religion can be used as an argument
    I believe its "An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth."

ReputationRep:
    I believe its "An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth."
    Turn the other cheek!

ReputationRep:
    Turn the other cheek!
    what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BloodyValentine)
    Anyway i don't see why non christian people (and there's a fair few of them out there) should follow the bible. I don't think religion can be used as an argument
    True but I've seen it advocated as a poor excuse to justify the death penalty for supposedly Christian countries. A prime example is the USA. Yet if A stabs B, does B have any right to stab A back? No.

I also think religion cannot be used.

ReputationRep:
    True but I've seen it advocated as a poor excuse to justify the death penalty for supposedly Christian countries. A prime example is the USA. Yet if A stabs B, does B have any right to stab A back? No.

I also think religion cannot be used.
    You are right, religion cannot be used. Too many people use it as a reason for opposing sertain things, and for going along with others. Its not a good reason to do anything, no matter HOW devout a worshiper you are.

ReputationRep:
    You are right, religion cannot be used. Too many people use it as a reason for opposing sertain things, and for going along with others. Its not a good reason to do anything, no matter HOW devout a worshiper you are.
    I thought for a minute you were going to disagree with me.

ReputationRep:
    Injustice.
    The death penalty should be abolished because people may be wrongly penalised. In addition the bible says- you should not kill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _tobi_coker07_)
    In addition the bible says- you should not kill.
    Makes me wonder how England could ever have had the death penalty when Christianity took over as the religion from paganism. Which means James I and Henry VIII in particular were idiots

ReputationRep:
    If you believe in the death penalty then you must also believe that the justice system is 100% perfect.

On one hand it would be nice for the various killers who are regularly demonised in the tabloids to meet just as gruesome an end as their victims. However, keeping people such as Huntley et al alive is necessary to prevent the next justice system fu*K taking away an innocent persons life. Which is and always will be the outcome in a justice system that includes the death penalty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dajo123)
    If you believe in the death penalty then you must also believe that the justice system is 100% perfect.

On one hand it would be nice for the various killers who are regularly demonised in the tabloids to meet just as gruesome an end as their victims. However, keeping people such as Huntley et al alive is necessary to prevent the next justice system fu*K taking away an innocent persons life. Which is and always will be the outcome in a justice system that includes the death penalty.
    Hear Hear. Our justice system can be improved greatly.

ReputationRep:
    I thought for a minute you were going to disagree with me.
    Why? I may be religious, but I never use it as a fallback. I never lean on my religion to get me out of situations that I've gotten myself into, sure I pray and whatnot, but I never say "My religion made me do it." I would not use religion to justify or to not justify the death penalty.

ReputationRep:
    Why? I may be religious, but I never use it as a fallback. I never lean on my religion to get me out of situations that I've gotten myself into, sure I pray and whatnot, but I never say "My religion made me do it." I would not use religion to justify or to not justify the death penalty.
    Well in my experience many religious people do the opposite of yourself and not willing to hear arguments which they don't believe in and force their own opinion on to others. I'm quite willing to hear arguments which advocate opinions I'm not in agreement with but others are not like that.

I've come across religious sites tencommandments.org I believe which advocate the execution of homosexuals. Takes all sorts to make a world I guess.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.