Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Death Penalty watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drago di giada)
    lol, don't use abbreviations.. I don't know what they are (English ones anyways) CCTV?
    Closed Circuit Television. Like they have in gambling places in Las Vegas. I realise it's not much of a deterrent over there though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Closed Circuit Television. Like they have in gambling places in Las Vegas. I realise it's not much of a deterrent over there though.
    Gotya.. But what isn't a deterrent?

ReputationRep:
    Gotya.. But what isn't a deterrent?
    Surely it depends on the crime in question? Bit of a short question so I didn't know where you are coming from.

ReputationRep:
    Surely it depends on the crime in question? Bit of a short question so I didn't know where you are coming from.
    Originally Posted by NDGAARONDI

What isn't a deterrent?

ReputationRep:
    Originally Posted by NDGAARONDI

What isn't a deterrent?
    Well for something like gambling in Las Vegas probably nothing is a deterrent, but I'm sure if you didn't have these measures you would have more people stealing, claiming they were injured on the site when they deliberately went out of their own way to do so etc.

I thought your question was more of a basic talking point rather than specific to the scenario I described

ReputationRep:
    I thought your question was more of a basic talking point rather than specific to the scenario I described
    lol, sorry for my vagueness..

ReputationRep:
    lol, no not WHO would consider it harsh.. why do YOU consider it harsh? Would you rather have loads of people sitting in a jail.. with the possible chance of excape.. I might add.. who are also using up our money because they are keeping them alive?
    Actually, in the US (one of the more "civilised" countries that still have the death penalty), it costs the state more to put someone on death-row, than to give him life in jail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zizero)
    Actually, in the US (one of the more "civilised" countries that still have the death penalty), it costs the state more to put someone on death-row, than to give him life in jail.
    How is that possible?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    The only reason I am for the death penalty is because it will save tax payers money. However the main reason it was stopped in the UK is because some times not guilty people were sentanced to death.
    wow you are willing to kill people to save cash? how very noble

ReputationRep:
    Does anything really deter crime? No not really.. if we use your reasoning we can do away with police, and prison all-together.
    sorry?? of course the police are a deterrent to crime. have you heard of a thing called anarchy?

re: the death penalty, the only situation i would support it was if it was a valid deterrent - where the end justifies the means. however, that is not the case, so i don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    sorry?? of course the police are a deterrent to crime. have you heard of a thing called anarchy?

re: the death penalty, the only situation i would support it was if it was a valid deterrent - where the end justifies the means. however, that is not the case, so i don't.
    lol, if the police deter crime why then is there still crime?

ReputationRep:

i think you're slightly misinformed on what anarchy is, the public view of it has been constantly distorted by the press (and some pathetic rock bands i might add) it is actually a lack of government in society not psycho's determined to blow up banks. There are several anarchist communities which live quite peacefully without goverment following i would imagine the principal that the people most unsuitable for ruling end up ruling since they're the only ones who want to do it

ReputationRep:
    Deter doesn't mean stop completely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Deter doesn't mean stop completely
    well it should.. *Sighs* Utopia *sighs*

ReputationRep:
    ??? www.dictionary.com ==> deter.

(Original post by BloodyValentine)
    i think you're slightly misinformed on what anarchy is...
    anarchy being the state of lawlessness and disorder (usually resulting from a failure of government) - if we had no police (through failure of government), then there would be anarchy. why am i misinformed?

ReputationRep:
    ??? www.dictionary.com ==> deter.

anarchy being the state of lawlessness and disorder (usually resulting from a failure of government) - if we had no police (through failure of government), then there would be anarchy. why am i misinformed?
    anarchy is not necessarily a state of lawlessness and disorder its just the distorted picture given by the media

note: i'm not actually an anarchist i do believe in democracy however i think they've been treated unfairly by the press

ReputationRep:
    note: i'm not actually an anarchist i do believe in democracy however i think they've been treated unfairly by the press
    *nods in agreement*

ReputationRep:
    anarchy is not necessarily a state of lawlessness and disorder its just the distorted picture given by the media

anarchy can be defined as a state of lawlessness, do you know where the word derives from? i don't see what the media has to do with my use of the word - as far as i know there isn't a universally accepted version, the word can adapt to fit context (as shown by the large amount of dictionary definitions).

ReputationRep:
    anarchy can be defined as a state of lawlessness, do you know where the word derives from? i don't see what the media has to do with my use of the word - as far as i know there isn't a universally accepted version, the word can adapt to fit context (as shown by the large amount of dictionary definitions).
    yes but by a state of lawlessness do you mean one without laws or one filled with violence and crime. its a subtle difference there

ReputationRep:
    yes but by a state of lawlessness do you mean one without laws or one filled with violence and crime. its a subtle difference there
    without laws and removal of the police that uphold them (someone was originally saying that the police weren't a deterrent of crime).

i'm not going to repeat myself again

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.