Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    without laws and removal of the police that uphold them (someone was originally saying that the police weren't a deterrent of crime).

i'm not going to repeat myself again
    lol, this isn't a dabate on Anarchy anyways.

ReputationRep:
    without laws and removal of the police that uphold them (someone was originally saying that the police weren't a deterrent of crime).

i'm not going to repeat myself again
    yes but you're still wrong anarchy doesn't necessarily mean a society without rules it means one without a ruler, and furthermore there exist anarcho-pacisfists who i don't really imagine go out and slaughter people on the weekend

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drago di giada)
    lol, this isn't a dabate on Anarchy anyways.
    true lets go back to the death penalty, personally i'm against it, it should be up to no man (or woman) to take human life. also i read somewhere that some criminals who regret their crimes see dying through the death penalty as an absolution... think on that one

ReputationRep:
    i wonder what would happen if first degree murder was punishable by life-long daily torture? :rolleyes:

aside from the 'spontaneous' murder...do you think the murder rate would go down or stay the same??

if the prospect of death doesn't seem to lower it, then i suppose we have to look in to the psychology of why people murder. once we understand that, we may then beable to start looking at deterrents, as obviously consequences are not considered by the majority of murderers.

ReputationRep:
    i wonder what would happen if first degree murder was punishable by life-long daily torture? :rolleyes:
    Interesting idea! i can imagine that being quite successful in dissuading criminal behaviour.

ReputationRep:

aside from the 'spontaneous' murder...do you think the murder rate would go down or stay the same??

if the prospect of death doesn't seem to lower it, then i suppose we have to look in to the psychology of why people murder. once we understand that, we may then beable to start looking at deterrents, as obviously consequences are not considered by the majority of murderers.
    yes but by detterents you see torture whereas it would be more sensible to aim at the root causes of poverty etc....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BloodyValentine)
    yes but you're still wrong anarchy doesn't necessarily mean a society without rules it means one without a ruler, and furthermore there exist anarcho-pacisfists who i don't really imagine go out and slaughter people on the weekend
    you're using that word again. where this is ambiguity, you can't dismiss anything as 'wrong'. not planning to be a judge later on in life, are we?

ReputationRep:
    true lets go back to the death penalty, personally i'm against it, it should be up to no man (or woman) to take human life. also i read somewhere that some criminals who regret their crimes see dying through the death penalty as an absolution... think on that one
    Thats why I'm undecided as to whether or not the death penalty is good or not.

If someone commits a murder and feels badly about it.. they'll welcome death.

If someone doesn't commit a murder but is sentenced to death.. they died for no reason..

If someone commits a murder and is placed on death row.. good riddence..

If someone commits a murder and is left in jail... they're going to use more and more tax-payers' money.

ReputationRep:
    yes but by detterents you see torture whereas it would be more sensible to aim at the root causes of poverty etc....
    why the root causes of poverty?

ReputationRep:
    If someone commits a murder and is left in jail... they're going to use more and more tax-payers' money.
    do you know how much the whole 'death row' experience costs?

ReputationRep:
    do you know how much the whole 'death row' experience costs?
    nope.. no idea.

ReputationRep:
    why the root causes of poverty?
    no little english problem i meant that the root causes of murder and crime rates include poverty etc...

ReputationRep:
    no little english problem i meant that the root causes of murder and crime rates include poverty etc...
    but we don't know them. what are we meant to do in the mean time?

ReputationRep:
    but we don't know them. what are we meant to do in the mean time?
    we do know at least some of them, with poverty being cited as the main cause, watch bowling for columbine. i'm going to make my dinner be back later

ReputationRep:
    we do know at least some of them, with poverty being cited as the main cause, watch bowling for columbine. i'm going to make my dinner be back later
    How does poverty fit into the death penalty here? :confused:

ReputationRep:

it all works together basically that poorer communities have more gun crime therefore more murders and consequently more of them face the death penalty

ReputationRep:
    it all works together basically that poorer communities have more gun crime therefore more murders and consequently more of them face the death penalty
    I see.. well thanks.. have a nice dinner. I'm off to work anyhow.

ReputationRep:
    More violent crimes are commited by people who have less money so therefor it is likely that more murders are going to be committed by people with less money. So tackle poverty and theoretically the number of murders should decrease. Also people who have less money are less likely to be able to afford a good lawyer who can

a) Get them found not guilty
    b) stop them from being put on death row

All in all this means that there are likely to be a higher number of people who live in poverty on death row.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    More violent crimes are commited by people who have less money so therefor it is likely that more murders are going to be committed by people with less money. So tackle poverty and theoretically the number of murders should decrease. Also people who have less money are less likely to be able to afford a good lawyer who can

a) Get them found not guilty
    b) stop them from being put on death row

All in all this means that there are likely to be a higher number of people who live in poverty on death row.
    ahhh.. gotta love the lower-class. *rolls eyes* still.. poverty is not a reason to commit a crime.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    ahhh.. gotta love the lower-class. *rolls eyes* still.. poverty is not a reason to commit a crime.
    No but it's also not justification for a harsher punishment which is what the other posters were pointing out is the current situation.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.