Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey
    I am a about to start my third year of my nursing course and have been for a while wondering about whether (once graduated) it is possible to convert from nursing to a medicine graduate entry course?
    I am very interested in developing my knowledge of physiology and pathophysiology further. Additionally, I love problem solving and would like to be able to use this skill more.
    If anyone knows anything about this or has been through this process, I would be interested to find out some more. Any advice is appreciated.
    Thanks for your help!!

ReputationRep:
    You can apply for GEM as a nurse at more than a handful of universities. Although you will more than likely have to sit an entrance exam as part of the admission process (GAMSAT, UKCAT, BMAT). Make sure you at least get a 2.1 otherwise this process becomes a lot more difficult.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Izizu)
    Hey
    I am a about to start my third year of my nursing course and have been for a while wondering about whether (once graduated) it is possible to convert from nursing to a medicine graduate entry course?
    I am very interested in developing my knowledge of physiology and pathophysiology further. Additionally, I love problem solving and would like to be able to use this skill more.
    If anyone knows anything about this or has been through this process, I would be interested to find out some more. Any advice is appreciated.
    Thanks for your help!!
    Awesome choice, some graduate-entry courses require you to have studied a "life science" such as Biomedical Sciences to apply to their programme. But universities such as Newcastle, Southampton, KCL, Oxford, Cambridge and Warwick accept a 2:1 or above in any degree discipline. If you are applying to start next autumn you will need to apply on UCAS by October 15th. In addition, most of the above universities require you to sit an aptitude test, either the UKCAT, GAMSAT or BMAT details of which one is demanded by which university and key dates can be found on our site: yesmed.co.uk.

GEM at Cambridge doesn't require an admissions test but you will need to fill out an additional information form that can be found on their website.

Some GEM programs consider what A-level subjects you studied and the grades you achieved, but many do not.

Some GEM universities, such as Warwick, will ask that you bring them written proof of relevant work/volunteering experience to interview. Additionally, you will need to write a personal statement.

Message us if you have any questions!

Team YesMED

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I am in the same situation as Izizu. Really Oxford accepts degree in any discipline for the GEM? Does it depends on a particular 'college' in Oxford University? Does St Barts accept any discipline as well?Do I necessarily need to work for a year (after graduation) to show my understanding of the medical studies and work as a doctor? If I base my arguments on my experience in clinical placements, would it be sufficient? I guess it depends on someone's maturity and insight?Thanks for your help!

(Original post by YesMED)
    Awesome choice, some graduate-entry courses require you to have studied a "life science" such as Biomedical Sciences to apply to their programme. But universities such as Newcastle, Southampton, KCL, Oxford, Cambridge and Warwick accept a 2:1 or above in any degree discipline. If you are applying to start next autumn you will need to apply on UCAS by October 15th. In addition, most of the above universities require you to sit an aptitude test, either the UKCAT, GAMSAT or BMAT details of which one is demanded by which university and key dates can be found on our site: yesmed.co.uk.

GEM at Cambridge doesn't require an admissions test but you will need to fill out an additional information form that can be found on their website.

Some GEM programs consider what A-level subjects you studied and the grades you achieved, but many do not.

Some GEM universities, such as Warwick, will ask that you bring them written proof of relevant work/volunteering experience to interview. Additionally, you will need to write a personal statement.

Message us if you have any questions!

Team YesMED

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JasmineJazz)
    Hi!
    I am in the same situation as Izizu. Really Oxford accepts degree in any discipline for the GEM? Does it depends on a particular 'college' in Oxford University? Does St Barts accept any discipline as well?Do I necessarily need to work for a year (after graduation) to show my understanding of the medical studies and work as a doctor? If I base my arguments on my experience in clinical placements, would it be sufficient? I guess it depends on someone's maturity and insight?Thanks for your help!
    Well, not all colleges at Oxford accept applicants for GEM, the list of those that do can be found on their website: https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/me...rated/colleges

Bart's does not accept any degree, in their own words;"There must have been a significant component of Biology and Chemistry in your degree programme, at least equivalent to AS-level"

You don't need to work for a year after graduation, in fact a lot of people apply during their final year of their first degree to start in the autumn after graduating.

You are right to recognise that you ability to reflect on your experiences is, to most universities, as important as what experience you actually have. Although some universities (eg. Warwick) stipulate a minimum number of hours of work experience to have been completed.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.