• Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Lay-Z)
    Hi,
    So I am in the process of booking a holiday for 4 weeks in October, however a really good job oppertunity has arisen. I was planning to book the holiday this week and the dates would be fairly soon after the job start date (2 weeks or so)

So I am wondering the best course of action.
    (1) Book the holiday for 4 weeks and if they ask at interview mention it
    (2) Book the holiday for 4 weeks and if they ask at interview dont mention it
    (3) Book the holiday for 4 weeks and if they ask at interview mention willingness to come back after 2 weeks if job is sucessful
    (4) Book the holiday for 4 weeks and if they ask at interview mention its booked for two weeks
    (5) Book the holiday for 2 weeks, and mention at interview (not ideal)
    (6) Wait until closer to the time to book the holiday for 2 weeks and mention it at interview (likely to cost significantly more)
    (7) Buy a flexible flight ticket (not feasible due to price almost double)

Baring in mind that the position is likely to be competitive, I feel (1) would result in no job.
    At the moment im leaning towards the third/fourth option, i'd have to pay seperately for a flight back but that wouldn't be much of a problem.. the main issue would be trying to explain it to them.
    I would focus get across my passion for the job in the fact that i'm willing to give up two weeks of holiday
    Going on holiday when you ve just started a job would probably lose you it so I d say don't book it till after you know the result of the interview. Besides you won't have more than a couple of days holiday allowance if it goes of a calendar year so any holiday planned at all will result in a no I d think.

ReputationRep:
    I think you're only possible option here is to try and get them to push your start date back a month to after your trip. No one is going to be happy with a 4 week holiday only 2 weeks after you start work (and it will probably undo most of those two weeks training, plus 4 weeks will probably be the majority of your holiday gone for the year in most jobs AND plenty of places just won't allow trips that long. Ideally you could start after the trip and then none of those things are an issue. If it's a competitive job though it may be that mentioning this will instantly lose you the job if they have another equally good candidate. You should definitely be honest if you are asked about any holiday/whether you can start on X date but if they don't ask I would mention it at the offer stage as then they're more invested in you. I think ultimately you need to decide whether the holiday or the job are more important and probably commit to one or the other.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Lay-Z)
    Interesting, thanks for hte advice.

The job is definitely more important than the holiday, its just I don't want to be in the situation where I have neither. If as it seems they will not work together I guess I can either.

(1) Don't book the holiday until i'm certain I don't have the job, which might cost me a bit more as its closer to the time
    (2) Be dishonest, explicitly lie if asked about holidays - and when asked about starting come up with some reason why I can't start until november

(2) would result in the best outcome if I have a good enough reason and I am a strong enough candidate although (1) would be a safer option
    Option one

ReputationRep:
    I got asked about holidays on my last job interview. I wouldn't lie, because it won't start you off on a good foot. Could you not delay your holiday until later in the year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lay-Z)
    If I were to do this, when wold be the best time to mention it? Once I have an offer, or during interview stage?
    I'm hoping if I significantly outperform others they will be more lenient in this respect
    probably if you get an offer but you still need to put it more as 'I had a trip planned for X dates and wondered if it might make more sense for both of us for me to start afterwards?' and then be prepared that they ask you to choose between the job and the trip

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 1, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Is cheesecake a cake?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.