Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe some of you would come without your parents, you may think it sounds cool but you may well regret it when everyone is saying their goodbye's to their family while you stare out the window.
    However, I am worried about my mother in particular, she can really get embarrassing, but thats parents for you. It seems that me and my siblings are the only ones who don't find my dads jokes funny, seriously, people are in tears sometimes when he tells jokes but I don't find them the least bit amusing.
    My parents are driving me up along with my two sisters and possibly my brother, all that in a BMW X5 from London to Nottingham, with no roof rack. I think i'll have to break the terrible news to the siblings, THEY CAN BUGGER OFF, I LOVE THEM BUT I NEED THE SPACE!!!
    I had the worst dream once though, my parents drove me to uni with a bloody CARAVAN hooked up to the car!!!! Now that would be hell, the uni would think the travellers have arrived, no offense to any travellers.

ReputationRep:
    yep, i think mine will be coming too... i dont have a car... plus the fact i cant drive! lol

ReputationRep:
    I dont think there has ever been the assumption in my mind that my parents arent coming - its been planned as a military operation in fact! Aside from the fact that I would need some sort of removal firm to take my belongings (from cornwall to liverpool - roughly 8 hours each way!), my parents would be dying to see where I would be living.
    When they left me at the start of my spell at boarding school - it was like some sort of film where my mother immediately grabbed me and burst into tears and my dad was trying to pry her off me! LOL! QUite embarassing at the time, but fairly emotional (Im the only child!). I think that really, its important for them to see where you will be for their own peace of mind, and they have supported you upto this stage, so it would be mean not to let them enjoy this life changing moment too...

ReputationRep:
    When I first went up to Uni, my parents drove me, as although I can drive, I have no car of my own. As a poor student I still have no car, and they have driven me at the beginning and end of each year, and will be driving me up again in October.

I understand that people are looking for their own space etc, but don't burn your bridges with home too quickly. Many halls are only 30 week lets, so you have to be at home over the vacations, and under the current funding system we are assessed on our parents income, so to have enough money to eat, in many cases your parents are expected to pay.

Yes they can be embarassing, but for every cringeworthy thing your dad says sober, you will say worse when you are drunk. Also at least when I started in Durham the older students who were Freshers' Reps etc were told to do there best to separate parents who looked too clingy away, so the student would be told, "Right! We are going to show you a guided tour of the city now, any parents should make there way with <other student>, who will be able to answer any questions you have down in the common room"

What was worse though was seeing all the parents on open-days. Yes people are a little younger then, but with good train links to most universities, and students waiting at the platform, there is no need for parents to drive you, let alone trail round with you asking questions of the lecturers etc. My parents never did that thankfully, but on open days I saw many who did. It worries me that the students didn't get a chance to make their own judgement about where they would be living, and what they would be studying.

As for parents helping you move in, they are anxious when you first go, normal when they pick you up at the end of the year, and after that its "Have you got everything out of the car yet? I want to be off home now!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dave134)
    What was worse though was seeing all the parents on open-days. Yes people are a little younger then, but with good train links to most universities, and students waiting at the platform, there is no need for parents to drive you, let alone trail round with you asking questions of the lecturers etc. My parents never did that thankfully, but on open days I saw many who did. It worries me that the students didn't get a chance to make their own judgement about where they would be living, and what they would be studying.
    My whole family came with me on the Durham open days in March, my sister came because she could have 2 days off school :rolleyes: , and my parents because they had never visited Durham before and wanted to find out what it was like, and my dad gets free miles on his car so is cheaper than paying for a train ticket for me (coming from London to Durham). Similarly my mum came with me when we flew up to the Edinburgh open day. However I have to say they didn't follow me round one bit, whilst I went on the tours and lectures in the universities they explored the city, and then explored the uni in their own time without me. The only time I saw them was for dropping me off when we first arrived and picking me up when the open days ended!

I wouldn't say that my parents taking me meant that I didn't have the chance to make my own judgement, they are my parents and I would rather they would want to find out about where I might be studying than to take no interest at all.

Back to the thread....of course I will be taking my parents when I first move into halls! I can't drive, and I think trying to move myself into halls using the train as transport would be a rather foolish idea If we take the car then I can take all of everything that I want up there, and also I'll get to say good bye to my sister and parents there, which I would like as it would be silly of me to say that I won't miss them

ReputationRep:
    My dad lives at the other end of the country and my mum cant drive so I have no option but to move in by myself.
    So if anybody sees a girl with a shitload of bags on a bus in Manchester/Salford gimme a wave

ReputationRep:
    I think I'll be moving into halls with the help of my mum and her boyfriend, as my dad's away on business that weekend and my mum's boyfriend has the advantage of a massive car which can fit a hell of a lot of "essential" clothes in it I can drive, but a) don't fancy fitting the contents of my room into my little Ford Ka, b) have nowhere to keep my car at uni and c) I want my family there to see where I'll be living, help me settle in and say goodbye properly. It just seems fitting.

The one dilemma I have got is whether to take my boyfriend with us on the day. I'd kind of like to have a proper private goodbye the day before rather than getting all sentimental and teary in front of my new hallmates and family But at the same time, I know if he was the one moving 3 hours away, I'd want to be there to see him get settled in.

ReputationRep:

I agree with you there. My dad drove me to universities when I visited, but I left him in the car/walking aimlessly around the cities. On one open day, there was a girl sitting in front of my with her entire family in the introduction. Her grandmother starting snoring halfway through, then her father completely embarrassed her by asking why she'd got rejected from one course at the uni, but accepted on another. I just sat there trying not to laugh.

Train links are not good everywhere. I live in Suffolk, and to get to Exeter it'd take probably about 10 hours, at least 5 transfers (plus a journey on the tube), and cost a lot more than driving would.

ReputationRep:

I don't think that's totally fair. I liked having my Mum there as she is far more sensible than me, and wanted to see where she was going to be paying for me to study.

(Original post by slowjamz)

The one dilemma I have got is whether to take my boyfriend with us on the day. I'd kind of like to have a proper private goodbye the day before rather than getting all sentimental and teary in front of my new hallmates and family But at the same time, I know if he was the one moving 3 hours away, I'd want to be there to see him get settled in.
    I have the opposite dilemma. I think my boyfriend really wants to come with me, but I want to be by myself (um, and with my weird parents) when I meet my new housemates and get settled in, not with him. Maybe I am a selfish girlfriend :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessKaty)
    I have the opposite dilemma. I think my boyfriend really wants to come with me, but I want to be by myself (um, and with my weird parents) when I meet my new housemates and get settled in, not with him. Maybe I am a selfish girlfriend :rolleyes:
    No, I totally know what you mean - I feel like it might be better for him not to come, to give me the chance to meet new people and have a fresh start independently. But I'd feel mean saying that to him because it'll seem like I don't want him to be included in my uni life - and that's not the case. Argh. Boys :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    i have never even considered moving without parents coming with me. even though i can drive i have no car so it would be a problem anyway (i'd like to see someone try to take everything on the tube!) so not an option. am an only child so not only am i going to really miss parents, they are going to be awful too! i wouldnt want them not to come, but i hope its not too embarressing! my dad nearly suffocated me after i got back from my first holiday on my own (plus they made me text nearly every day to say i was alive)! i thought they were bad but after some of the stories i think i am ok - no danger of anyone other than parents coming, or of staying in city for 2 weeks before going home or anything equally terrible. i reckon they will understand & say goodbye outside by the car. here's hoping. i guess it's better that they care than to be alone & parents not giving a damn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amyitfc)
    i have never even considered moving without parents coming with me. even though i can drive i have no car so it would be a problem anyway (i'd like to see someone try to take everything on the tube!) so not an option. am an only child so not only am i going to really miss parents, they are going to be awful too! i wouldnt want them not to come, but i hope its not too embarressing! my dad nearly suffocated me after i got back from my first holiday on my own (plus they made me text nearly every day to say i was alive)! i thought they were bad but after some of the stories i think i am ok - no danger of anyone other than parents coming, or of staying in city for 2 weeks before going home or anything equally terrible. i reckon they will understand & say goodbye outside by the car. here's hoping. i guess it's better that they care than to be alone & parents not giving a damn.
    Im not an only child. I have a younger brother, but whenever I am away, anywhere, my mother insists on calling every 20 seconds to check that im not in hospital/dead/magically abroad. Its actually amusing. She phones me when im pissed at parties to ask me opinions on things or to force yet more chores upon me. As for parents and arriving at halls, how else can it be done? I will be moving about 90 miles. How else am I supposed to transport a car-loads worth of stuff without my parents lol? I think I will take just one parent because im not that far away, and since I am going to be taking a bike too, there wont be much space in the car.

Frankly I think there is nothing wrong with taking parents. Mine are as equally embarassing as the rest of them, if not worse.

IZoneIZ

ReputationRep:
    Nope Im going on my own the day I get back from holls Im driving straight to sheffield, Wahoooo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PuffDaddy)
    My parents are driving me up along with my two sisters and possibly my brother, all that in a BMW X5 from London to Nottingham, with no roof rack. I think i'll have to break the terrible news to the siblings, THEY CAN BUGGER OFF, I LOVE THEM BUT I NEED THE SPACE!!!
    Oh no! I hadn't though of that
    My mums plan was to drop me off in Sheffield and then drive my brother up to Manchester cos we're starting Uni on the same day.. but with the amount of stuff I'm planning to bring I think someone will have to take the train

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    Oh no! I hadn't though of that
    My mums plan was to drop me off in Sheffield and then drive my brother up to Manchester cos we're starting Uni on the same day.. but with the amount of stuff I'm planning to bring I think someone will have to take the train
    I've already told my parents about all the stuff I want to take, and so far we're either going to put the roof box on my dads car, which is a saloon and so doesn't have much boot space, and the four of us (mum, dad, sister and me!) all go in the one car, or we'll fold the seats down in mums estate, use the boot and the rest of the space in that for all my stuff, me and mum go in her car, and dad and little sister go in dads car.........it's all going to be a bit of a palaver whatever we choose! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Lol! I have been reading this and I think its funny!! I don't have the same problem with my dad. He was great on the only Open Day I went to, he followed me around, asking me what I thought and asked really good questions of the staff and students already living there! I am getting him to drive me down, I know i will not be embarrassed by him as he is not like that. In these sorts of situations he will hang around and wait until spoken to!! The only trouble is that there is no way he will pay for anything!!

The only thing i am really worried about is my best mate who has invited herself along!! I have no problem with that and it would be really cool, but I kinda want to do the first week on my own!! How to tell her though, without hurting her feelings? Dammit! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    oh wow, thanks for bumping this thread - how come i missed it before???

i really am in a pickle! i'm gonna have to force one of my parents to have the day off work to come with me!

the other day when i came back off holiday, i had to be picked up by my friends parents because mine were working then. i felt really sad - my friend got to see her family, while i was stuck on my own, having to wait like an hour and a half to see mine! i was almost crying

that's it! one of my parents will have to come with me! but which one?! grrr...!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparkler)
    oh wow, thanks for bumping this thread - how come i missed it before???
    All part of the service, lol!!!

ReputationRep:
    lol, Ok then....

ReputationRep:
    Yeh mine should be coming but as soon as I'm settled in they can bugger off!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.