The Student Room Group

Urgent alevel advice!!!

Hi, I currently go to a state school. But I've gotten the chance to go to a grammar one for sixth form but I just don't know which one to pick!! At my current school I get to do 3 alevels and one As whereas at the grammar school I do 3 alevels. I want to do bio Chem and rs at the grammar and bio chem media and sociology at my current! ( have to pick different options due to them not fitting in the option blocks) The pros of me going to my current school is:Pros of The state school are its near my house, know the teachers so if I get stuck then I'll have a bit of banter work my magic and get the answers, comfortable and I don't know At the grammar school i might be the dumbest. Now the pros of the grammar are its a grammar school, different place, new people and could I don't know yet but may have a better science department the my current school does. Thank you pls reply
Have you had a look into the science department? Contacted the grammar school for a look around? You won't know if it's suited for you until you see how they teach.

I say, if the grammar school will push your grades further, then you should go. I regretted staying in my college as I didn't do as well and had to self teach myself.

Hope that helped a little

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi I'm about to start my last year of sixth form and I used to be in the same position as you about a year ago. I decided to stay at my state school, and I can't tell if it was he right decision or not, The truth is no matter where I go I know I would have felt some regret. The results I got at AS weren't what I hoped for, and I feel I would have done better at a grammar, but I know in the end I could have got higher grades, I just didn't work for it as hard as I could have 😑.

my advice is to make a decision for you and not for others. if you feel pressured to stay with your freinds (even unintentionally on their part). Sometimes you need to take a chance. Good luck xx
Original post by hopefulklw
Hi I'm about to start my last year of sixth form and I used to be in the same position as you about a year ago. I decided to stay at my state school, and I can't tell if it was he right decision or not, The truth is no matter where I go I know I would have felt some regret. The results I got at AS weren't what I hoped for, and I feel I would have done better at a grammar, but I know in the end I could have got higher grades, I just didn't work for it as hard as I could have 😑.

my advice is to make a decision for you and not for others. if you feel pressured to stay with your freinds (even unintentionally on their part). Sometimes you need to take a chance. Good luck xx

Thank you x
It depends on your assessment of yourself as a student, your past performance, aspirations and your school.

Just do a pros and cons list. Only you can make the choice.

Pros- close by- settled and I assumed happy- familiar with teachers.
Cons- If you dont get the grades then you wont get to the uni of your choice.
Are they good enough? Are you confident you will get the grades needed? Can you survive making new friends?

Pros Gramnar school potentially better teaching and better grades.
Cons less comfy and potential to not be a happy experience, its just unknown as you could also love it.- commuting.- more work.

Imo id be tempted by the grammar school because its grades that matter and its for two years. Do some more research about the school and the grades they get, do a pracice commute so you cna see what the daily journey is like, above an hour and it can be very tiring. Thing that matters will be your grades. Its worth putting up with more effort if you increase your chances significantly.

Quick Reply

Latest