The Student Room Group

The process and benefits of becoming a chartered engineer?

Hi,

As the title states, I was just wondering what becoming a chartered engineer really entails and what benefits it offers (particularly for chemical engineers).

On average, how long does becoming chartered take and what does it depend on? Are there exams to study for? Is it necessary to change between different job sectors to gain a variety of experience? Do you gain anything other than a higher salary/the title of 'chartered engineer'? etc.

It would be great to hear of any specific experiences from chartered engineers/engineers working towards chartership as well!

Thanks!
Original post by Bioluminescence1
Hi,

As the title states, I was just wondering what becoming a chartered engineer really entails and what benefits it offers (particularly for chemical engineers).

On average, how long does becoming chartered take and what does it depend on? Are there exams to study for? Is it necessary to change between different job sectors to gain a variety of experience? Do you gain anything other than a higher salary/the title of 'chartered engineer'? etc.

It would be great to hear of any specific experiences from chartered engineers/engineers working towards chartership as well!

Thanks!

This link should help you out:

http://www.engc.org.uk/engcdocuments/internet/Website/CEng%20eBook.pdf

You may or may not get paid more. You may or may not have more opportunities open to you. It depends on the employer and sector (some sectors seem to appreciate professional registration more than others, generally).

You don't need to move between sectors but you do need to gain enough experience in the requisite competencies, which may require you to move roles or even employers if your current role is not providing you with enough experience.
Original post by Smack
This link should help you out:

http://www.engc.org.uk/engcdocuments/internet/Website/CEng%20eBook.pdf

You may or may not get paid more. You may or may not have more opportunities open to you. It depends on the employer and sector (some sectors seem to appreciate professional registration more than others, generally).

You don't need to move between sectors but you do need to gain enough experience in the requisite competencies, which may require you to move roles or even employers if your current role is not providing you with enough experience.

Thanks for the link! :smile:
Thanks for the link! :smile:

It's also worth pointing out that some companies have graduate schemes that are accredited by the respective institute, such that on completion you should be ready for chartership. This usually takes approximately four years, and is probably the quickest way to achieve it.
Original post by Smack
It's also worth pointing out that some companies have graduate schemes that are accredited by the respective institute, such that on completion you should be ready for chartership. This usually takes approximately four years, and is probably the quickest way to achieve it.

Thanks for your input!

Are you a chartered engineer yourself? Would you say the 'additional work' to get chartered was worth your time?

I ask because I think the sector I end up in will just depend on what graduate job I can find. I've also noticed that many companies in certain sectors have graduate schemes that aren't accredited by a professional body. So if I couldn't immediately secure a job within my desired sector then later move to a company in a different sector that was accredited, the 2/3 years of experience would essentially be irrelevant as far as chartership is concerned?

Of course I don't plan on being unable to find my perfect graduate job, but seeing how competitive it is out there has made me question my chances.
Thanks for your input!

Are you a chartered engineer yourself? Would you say the 'additional work' to get chartered was worth your time?

I ask because I think the sector I end up in will just depend on what graduate job I can find. I've also noticed that many companies in certain sectors have graduate schemes that aren't accredited by a professional body. So if I couldn't immediately secure a job within my desired sector then later move to a company in a different sector that was accredited, the 2/3 years of experience would essentially be irrelevant as far as chartership is concerned?

Of course I don't plan on being unable to find my perfect graduate job, but seeing how competitive it is out there has made me question my chances.

I'm not a chartered engineer.

Your experience does not need to be with an accredited company. As long as it is of the right level, and enough to meet the required competencies, you can go for chartership. It's mainly the very largest companies that offer accredited training schemes.

Since you mentioned chemical engineering, here are the ones accredited by the IChemE:

http://www.icheme.org/careers/acts/acts_companies.aspx

But you don't need to have ever worked at any of the above organisations to get chartered.
Original post by Smack
I'm not a chartered engineer.

Your experience does not need to be with an accredited company. As long as it is of the right level, and enough to meet the required competencies, you can go for chartership. It's mainly the very largest companies that offer accredited training schemes.

Since you mentioned chemical engineering, here are the ones accredited by the IChemE:

http://www.icheme.org/careers/acts/acts_companies.aspx

But you don't need to have ever worked at any of the above organisations to get chartered.

Oh right, I completely had the wrong idea! Thanks for clarifying :smile:
Reply 7
I am a Chartered Engineer myself (and an examiner!) with the IMechE.

The way to get chartered varies by institution, but all require you to demonstrate Master's degree level knowledge. Note that 'demonstration' does not necessarily mean you need to have an MEng or MSc, but obviously having an accredited degree will greatly help and check off that item. You then need to have some period of working experience, typically in the 5-10 year range depending on how quickly you get promoted and take on responsibilities. The final exams range all require an interview ranging from 45-90mins but the likes of Institution of Civil Engineers require a 2 hour timed essay on top, and the Institution of Structural Engineers require a 7 hour design exam, which has a very low pass rate, generally around the 28% mark.

The biggest benefit I see is when you need to change jobs or apply for a visa to a new country, or seek equivalence of your professional status somewhere else. In the UK many companies simply will not hire you if you are not a Chartered Engineer and have more than around 5-10 years of working experience.

For things like visa applications, many institutions have "Mutual Recognition Agreements" with engineering bodies in other countries. If I look at Australia one of the pre-requisites for their Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189) which is just about their highest class of visa (highly-skilled, no job offer needed at time of application, instantly grants Permanent Residence), most of the professions require certification from Engineers Australia, of which being a Chartered Engineer in the UK is one route to acceptance.
Original post by ninmurai
The way to get chartered varies by institution, but all require you to demonstrate Master's degree level knowledge. Note that 'demonstration' does not necessarily mean you need to have an MEng or MSc, but obviously having an accredited degree will greatly help and check off that item.

Do you have any more detail or information on what would or could be considered as demonstrating master's level knowledge? I've heard this from various sources, not least from the IMechE themselves and the UK-SPEC, but I'm not very sure of how this is actually determined.
Reply 9
Original post by Smack
Do you have any more detail or information on what would or could be considered as demonstrating master's level knowledge? I've heard this from various sources, not least from the IMechE themselves and the UK-SPEC, but I'm not very sure of how this is actually determined.

There are a few ways, but most notably and favourably:
1) You can submit papers and get them published in journals or conferences. They obviously need to be at the right level
2) You can write in-house documents for the company you work at which clearly show your aptitude for academic knowledge
3) The project you work on requires such advanced knowledge (for instance, developing new algorithms which require heavy uni-level calculus) that it demonstrates your ability in its own merit.

There are some other ways, but these offer the most solid evidence.
Original post by ninmurai
I am a Chartered Engineer myself (and an examiner!) with the IMechE.

The way to get chartered varies by institution, but all require you to demonstrate Master's degree level knowledge. Note that 'demonstration' does not necessarily mean you need to have an MEng or MSc, but obviously having an accredited degree will greatly help and check off that item. You then need to have some period of working experience, typically in the 5-10 year range depending on how quickly you get promoted and take on responsibilities. The final exams range all require an interview ranging from 45-90mins but the likes of Institution of Civil Engineers require a 2 hour timed essay on top, and the Institution of Structural Engineers require a 7 hour design exam, which has a very low pass rate, generally around the 28% mark.

The biggest benefit I see is when you need to change jobs or apply for a visa to a new country, or seek equivalence of your professional status somewhere else. In the UK many companies simply will not hire you if you are not a Chartered Engineer and have more than around 5-10 years of working experience.

For things like visa applications, many institutions have "Mutual Recognition Agreements" with engineering bodies in other countries. If I look at Australia one of the pre-requisites for their Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189) which is just about their highest class of visa (highly-skilled, no job offer needed at time of application, instantly grants Permanent Residence), most of the professions require certification from Engineers Australia, of which being a Chartered Engineer in the UK is one route to acceptance.

I love reading posts by people like yourself. I have worked in engineering all my life and chartership is a complete joke and a thing of the past. Old boys back patting and leg slapping society.

i have worked for the worlds leading automotive, chemical and steel making industries and while a few idiots promote it the reality is, engineering is about results, good people have good habits, not another bragging right. Chartership, because somebody submits a couple of projects does that make them a competent engineer, no, it does not. I have worked for, with and managed a lot of engineers during my career and without doubt the worst ones of all have been Chartered, fast track to fame, talk about it all day but when it comes to the facts, clueless, now that’s a fact. In fact, the most incompetent engineer i have worked with is one of your chaps, cause some people a serious injury in one of the places I worked. Do you promote that?

safety in numbers has always been a safe option...

the first thing you draw on when you are an an engineer is experience, time on the coal face, not a piece of paperwork, that’s for clowns. My advice if you want to get on and be successful. Look for a jo with a reputable business, get stuck in a prove yourself because that’s number 1 on the CV. Trust me, the rest will follow
Hi I'm a fourth year chemical engineering student at UoB.

Chartership for chem eng typically takes 4 to 6 years after graduation, and to become chartered you have to demonstrate you've gained experience and knowledge in several key areas such as safety and creative thinking.

You can find out more on the Icheme website here:

https://www.icheme.org/membership/membership-grades/chartered-member/

Chartership won't change your life but it does show employers you achieved a certain level of experience and also makes applying for visa etcs easier.

Chartered engineers are also paid on average £10,000 more than non charted chemical engineers with similar experience according to Icheme.

Thanks Harry
Original post by Realist. View
I love reading posts by people like yourself. I have worked in engineering all my life and chartership is a complete joke and a thing of the past. Old boys back patting and leg slapping society.

i have worked for the worlds leading automotive, chemical and steel making industries and while a few idiots promote it the reality is, engineering is about results, good people have good habits, not another bragging right. Chartership, because somebody submits a couple of projects does that make them a competent engineer, no, it does not. I have worked for, with and managed a lot of engineers during my career and without doubt the worst ones of all have been Chartered, fast track to fame, talk about it all day but when it comes to the facts, clueless, now that’s a fact. In fact, the most incompetent engineer i have worked with is one of your chaps, cause some people a serious injury in one of the places I worked. Do you promote that?

the first thing you draw on when you are an an engineer is experience, time on the coal face, not a piece of paperwork, that’s for clowns. My advice if you want to get on and be successful. Look for a jo with a reputable business, get stuck in a prove yourself because that’s number 1 on the CV. Trust me, the rest will follow

After my MEng I only worked in a couple of engineering jobs before realising the effort is not worth it in the UK and leaving the field altogether, but I did work with one "engineer" who was chartered (building services mechanical engineer). He was so incompetent he didn't understand basic IT concepts like that if the internet has went off for the whole office, he claimed he can still send an email out because outlook is a different icon on his desktop to internet explorer.
Reply 13
Original post by Realist. View

Would you say that doing an MEng for chartership is not worth it or should I obtain an MEng because it's getting more standard to have a masters in this day and age?
Original post by Naysol
Would you say that doing an MEng for chartership is not worth it or should I obtain an MEng because it's getting more standard to have a masters in this day and age?

The benefit pf a masters helps in a couple reasons:
-keeps the door open to all graduate engineering roles (some companies require a masters but others will accept beng)
-an extra year to get summer internships or placement
-if you want to consider a PhD a masters is pretty much required for a strong funding application
-should you want to pursue chartership you’ve simplified the pathway to fulfilling the academic requirements.

Quick Reply

Latest