Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I thought it would be interesting to check peoples' attitudes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weejimmie)
    Personally I am for abortion and Euthanasia but against the death penalty. I don't think that this is hypocritical really. I am for abortion because I think that sometimes parents should have the right to terminate the pregnancy if the foetus is abnormal, I also think that abortion should be available to women who want it for social reasons because if it isn't allowed there are likely to be many unwanted babies with the current rate of unwanted pregnancy and women may have dangerous backstreet abortions. I think that a person that is in serious pain and of sound mind should be able to end their life to stop their suffering however I feel that is should be highly regulated. However I disagree with the death penalty because you are killing a heathly living breathing person in the name of revenge, I think it is hypocritical and brutal.

ReputationRep:
    A poll with just three points but with the ability to pick multiple options would have been better

ReputationRep:
    Am for abortion (early term/rape/risk of mother's life/failed protected sex only, not sure where I stand on disablities tho)
    Am for euthansia (however constent is a difficult issue I agree, I would have something like a will system, where the patient constents before they are too unstable to make the decision)
    Am against the death penalty (morally wrong I think)

<wow my 3000th post, yay >

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    A poll with just three points but with the ability to pick multiple options would have been better
    NO. I'm interested in the same peoples' attitudes to the three different things together, not to each separately.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    No 2 only. I have no problem morally with euthanasia but I don't believe it should be legalised yet - we're not ready as a society. I do not agree with the death penalty in any cases however extreme.

ReputationRep:
    NO. I'm interested in the same peoples' attitudes to the three different things together, not to each separately.
    ahh I see

ReputationRep:
    i don't think that death penalty solves anything. the person that has done the crime don't have to live with the consequences. it is the persons that lives (victims, relatives) that suffer because they have to deal with it.

don't have anything against abortion, but i don't think that i could do it myself.

don't know what euthanasia is.

oh, another thing can you morally be against death penalty but for abortion?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _EMMA_)
    i don't think that death penalty solves anything. the person that has done the crime don't have to live with the consequences. it is the persons that lives (victims, relatives) that suffer because they have to deal with it.

don't have anything against abortion, but i don't think that i could do it myself.

don't know what euthanasia is.

Euthanasia (taking the OED definition here) is the painless killing of a patient suffering from a incurable and painful disease. Personally i'm against the death penalty and for the other two though i can see why you might object to abortion if you object to the death penalty. Interestingly enough has anyone seen the EU ruling http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3878135.stm pretty harsh in my opinion what do you all think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _EMMA_)
    yes, abortion is the mother's choice and I for one do not consider a foetus early on in its development to be a life. With the death penalty the person is definately alive and its not a subject that is actually involved with the child that is making the decision. These are very complex problems, how to do you justify the taking of life in some situations but not others and can get very difficult to folllow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BloodyValentine)
    Interestingly enough has anyone seen the EU ruling http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3878135.stm pretty harsh in my opinion what do you all think
    That must of certainly been a very difficult decision to make, one has to wonder how she accidentally (seemingly) managed to have an abortion tho.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    That must of certainly been a very difficult decision to make, one has to wonder how she accidentally (seemingly) managed to have an abortion tho.
    In 1991, Mrs Vo, a French national of Vietnamese origin, went to the Hotel-Dieu hospital in Lyons for an examination when she was six months pregnant.

On the same day, another woman, Thanh Van Vo, was due to have a coil removed at the same hospital.

The pregnant Mrs Vo, from Bourg-en-Bresse, could not speak French, and was unable to communicate with gynaecologist Francois Golfier.

He mistook her for the other Mrs Vo, and tried to remove a coil, piercing the amniotic sac and making it necessary for a therapeutic abortion to be carried out.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3304307.stm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3304307.stm
    thank you, you know your the fountain of knowledge?

ReputationRep:
    Right:

Abortion- Yes...it's the "mother's" choice, as she will be the one who has to give birth to the child. Only query i have with this is that abortion should only be allowed up to a certain stage in pregnancy, i don't have enough knowledge about it to say when exactly though.

Death Penalty- No...what if the person is innocent? Also, death may be an easy escape from punishment.

Euthanasia- Like PQ said, morally i have no objections to the idea of mercy-killings, however, there is too much potential for euthanasia to be abused, and people murdered and hidden under euthanasia.

G
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    thank you, you know your the fountain of knowledge?
    fact, figures and stats maybe

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3878135.stm pretty harsh in my opinion what do you all think
    I think although this case is a sad one the doctor did not comit murder which is what I believe the women wants him changed with. Maybe malpractice but not murder this was a sad incident but I don't think that the foetus could be considered a human being at this stage. However you do have to wonder how the doctor didn't notice that she was pregnant surely she would be showing at this point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    I think although this case is a sad one the doctor did not comit murder which is what I believe the women wants him changed with. Maybe malpractice but not murder this was a sad incident but I don't think that the foetus could be considered a human being at this stage. However you do have to wonder how the doctor didn't notice that she was pregnant surely she would be showing at this point.
    its not so much the incident i object to the doctor has just made a very unfortunate mistake it is the ruling that a foetus is not alive which i find offensive from a moral and biological point of view

ReputationRep:
    You know what I'd say to that man... Death penalty, no... It allows for abuses and mistakes. Mass murderers are either messed up (Broadmoor candidates) or nasty. People can be arrested by mistake/as part of a police campaign against them. Also it allows soldiers (like the CIRA) to be executed as criminals (as opposed to having their rights under the Geneva Convention), thus turning more Irish people towards the cause and defeating the British arguements in Ireland anyway.

Abortion - who has the right to kill someone irrespective of their age/stage of development? We were all zygotes/foetuses once...

Euthanasia easily available? I think you are phrasing the question so as to force people to say "no"!

ReputationRep:
    its not so much the incident i object to the doctor has just made a very unfortunate mistake it is the ruling that a foetus is not alive which i find offensive from a moral and biological point of view
    My view is that the foetus is alive but not yet a human being therefor it can not be murdered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polthegael)
    Euthanasia easily available? I think you are phrasing the question so as to force people to say "no"!
    Indeed, I'm not wholly against it, but I still voted no because I didn't like that easily available thing. Gives the wrong picture.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.