Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/...litics-fashion

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...y-at-the-beach

Is the guardian trying to say women should cover up? :beard:

ReputationRep:
    I would say that the second was only aimed to extend our understanding. I hope that not only ours is extended that way.

The first is a text of no consequence, I wouldn't write it, nor read it on different circuimstances.

I can't resist myself to that wearing burkini is as pointless at some matters, as sunbathing for too long. The second damages skin, the first causes D vitamin deficiency.

ReputationRep:
    No, because if they cover up armed police surround you like you're a criminal & force you to strip off exposing your body and private parts for their perverted satisfaction

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMEGGGY)
    No, because if they cover up armed police surround you like you're a criminal & force you to strip off exposing your body and private parts for their perverted satisfaction

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Applying a ban does not make you a pervert.

ReputationRep:
    The guardian has been known to pander to the left liberals yes

ReputationRep:
    from the first article , the most ridiculous comment about why women should cover up at the beach (with a burkini or otherwise) :

I choose to dress this way because it gives me freedom. I don’t have to worry about (...) people commenting on the way I look and judging my looks or talking about my clothes.

in reality, she is attracting ten times more attention, looks and comments than if she wore a skimpy bikini ...

the same woman sounds much more sincere when she declares "I am a Muslim woman and I am proud to be recognised as one"

another woman states : "As a Muslim woman I am encouraged by the Qur’an not to wear the same as non-Muslims and to remain identifiably Muslim at all times"

in other words, it sounds like it's as much about making Islam visible, as about simple "modesty"

best

ReputationRep:
    Once again, another article saying that women who don't cover are immodest.

And lol at the woman from Singapore who blames France because "The majority seems to be forcing their ideologies on the minority. This is not liberty or freedom." and adds that "Singapore is a multiracial country, and the government considers each and every person’s rights." whilst homosexuality is banned in Singapore and gays face jail time there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Once again, another article saying that women who don't cover are immodest.
    Regressives gonna regressive I suppose*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KimKallstrom)
    Regressives gonna regressive I suppose*
    I'd argue that it's actually the right who oppose people covering up too much and oppose nudity.

You do find it's actually feminists who've started campaigns such as 'free the nipple' whereas the right seem to think a woman breastfeeding in public is a disgrace.

Women can and should wear whatever they want. If they want to cover themselves head to toe then that's fine, if they wan't to be nude, that's fine too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    I'd argue that it's actually the right who oppose people covering up too much and oppose nudity.

You do find it's actually feminists who've started campaigns such as 'free the nipple' whereas the right seem to think a woman breastfeeding in public is a disgrace.

Women can and should wear whatever they want. If they want to cover themselves head to toe then that's fine, if they wan't to be nude, that's fine too.
    in practice, there are dress codes for each and every situation

the law usually only enforces some kind of common minimum standard

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.