Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    As I hold an offer of St.Hilda's to read biology from October onwards, I would be interested in how the college really is like - the atmosphere, the attitude, how academic it is or not is, etc etc. I am an EU student and as I had no idea about which college to apply to (actually, I had not much time to make a decision - I decided to apply a week before the deadline...), I sent in an open application. I was then allocated to St.Hilda's and I really liked the college when I went there for my interview, still I am not sure what studying there will be like, considering that it is a women-only college at the bottom of the Norrington Table. So if anybody could help me and give me some impressions about the college, I would be were grateful!!!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by sophal)
    As I hold an offer of St.Hilda's to read biology from October onwards, I would be interested in how the college really is like - the atmosphere, the attitude, how academic it is or not is, etc etc. I am an EU student and as I had no idea about which college to apply to (actually, I had not much time to make a decision - I decided to apply a week before the deadline...), I sent in an open application. I was then allocated to St.Hilda's and I really liked the college when I went there for my interview, still I am not sure what studying there will be like, considering that it is a women-only college at the bottom of the Norrington Table. So if anybody could help me and give me some impressions about the college, I would be were grateful!!!
    I have sent you a pm - but I'd suggest doing a search of threads on St Hildas too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JUSTaGIRL)
    Hilda's girls have a particular reputation for being among the most active undergraduates in university life.
    i.e. self-interest politicos who think they're oh-so-important because they're co-chair of some random ineffective OUSU sub-committee, or JCR "representatives" who ignore the views of 40% or so of students. Naming no names...

ReputationRep:
    If you actually look at the breakdown, Hilda's got the third highest number of 2:1s in the whole university, and that is actually quite impressive.
    More 2.1s = Less 1sts...
    Also, be aware that certain colleges advise the students whom they think will not achieve 2:1s to withdraw their results from publication, and these are not included in the tables (which aren't official anyway). Some people (including myself) always specify that they don't want their results publishing anyway, for personal reasons.
    The results withdrawal thing would distort college rankings by at most about 3 places, the table's still a good general indication. Bar Harris Manchester the vast majority of results are disclosed.

Why is it that when guys do worse than girls at GCSE, the conclusion is that boys are more stupid, though for university it's because the system's biased against women?

ReputationRep:
    Lots of girls go to St.Hilda's.
    St Hilda's is near the sports centre and close to shops.
    This is convenient.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    More 2.1s = Less 1sts...
    Does this Norrington table rank the unis in order of % who attained First class degrees?

If so, that is crap, because a uni with 10% firsts and 90% fails would be ranked higher than a uni with 9% firsts and 91% 2:1's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invisible)
    Does this Norrington table rank the unis in order of % who attained First class degrees?

If so, that is crap, because a uni with 10% firsts and 90% fails would be ranked higher than a uni with 9% firsts and 91% 2:1's.
    It ranks oxford colleges, it awards points for firsts, 2:1s etc and bases the ranking on the percentage the college gets of the total points possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invisible)
    On the subject of 90% fails... http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/3903699.stm :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    Why is it that when guys do worse than girls at GCSE, the conclusion is that boys are more stupid, though for university it's because the system's biased against women?

That is an interesting question. Perhaps there is this institutionalised idea that the men of today must be held accountable for those Victorian ideals.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Jools)
    More 2.1s = Less 1sts...
    Fewer 1sts.... not less. Grammar is still important for those who would be top class journalists!

ReputationRep:
    Well if that's the case, why are 28 St Hilda's finalists missing from the lists?
    28 people out of 120+ or so. Even though you know a couple that got a 1st and withdrew their result, you'd expect a greater number who don't disclose their results to be verging on 2.2s/3rds. The missing results are slightly skewed below the average, but the way that the cumulative points system works if those results were in it would change any college's rankings by 3/4 places at most.
    Every college has annoying hacks, and I'm sure you'd be the first to admit that SPC is certainly no exception :rolleyes: . The person you are alluding to, however, is not a typical Hilda's girl. My point is that, in my own along with many others' experience, Hilda's girls tend to be independent, energetic, and unintimidated.
    Plenty of people at Hilda's love the place. But plenty hate it. A considerable number are prolific, ambitious and enthusiastic, though many stay in their rooms every night, permanently homesick. When researching for the investigation several told me how much they hated the place. Whilst every college has it hacks, Hilda's must be the only one where about half the students don't ever step foot in the JCR, not even for bops or for drink-the-bar-dry, disillusioned by the self-important hacks who they feel don't represent their views, fed up with Lilac vs anti-Lilac campaigning shenanigans etc.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm hopefully going. It was my second 'choice' college. I'm glad enough to get an offer from Oxford, and I hope that through doing sport etc i'll get to meet other people. I still think that its a bit unfair that girls often get St Hilda's as one of their colleges and that its non-negotiable (I've been at an all-girls school since I was 4, and was hoping for a change :rolleyes: ) Guys dont have anything similar and I'd probably prefer to be in a mixed college

However, that being said, I hope its going to be a good 3 years, that I'm going to enjoy it for the most part, and i suppose it depends on what friends you make, what your attitudes are. Most of my friends who applied to Oxford didnt get in and I managed to get a place and was still disappointed. Doesn't seem right.

Plus, most of the people I met on the Open Day there were people who had been pooled. (There were about 10 people who had been pooled from other colleges for PPE at St Hilda's out of about probably 15-16 offers!)They all seemed really nice people, so I'm not worrying too much.

ReputationRep:
    At the moment, I feel the same as you do. At first, I was not happy altogether about being allocated to St. Hilda's, but the people I met at the interviews were really nice and friendly, so I don't believe that I will be unhappy at the college - if I felt differently once I was there, I would just become engaged in some societies and do sports (have no idea whether this if-clause is correct or not, I always get this grammar mixed up )

ReputationRep:
    St Hilda's college is sexist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessie)
    I still think that its a bit unfair that girls often get St Hilda's as one of their colleges and that its non-negotiable
    Not true actually, I know three who got offers from Hilda's, threatened to turn down their Oxford offer unless they were sent elsewhere, and voila, got offers elsewhere.

Anyway, whilst there's people there who don't like Hilda's, hardly any hate Oxford. If you like the college then you're sorted. If you don't then just spend your time outside it - it's easy to meet people through sport, societies, nightlife etc.

ReputationRep:
    I also got an offer from St.Hildas (allocated second choice college) and although I originally threatened to turn down the offer if that turned out to be the case, I ended up accepting it.
    I've always been in two minds about going there and really starting to wish I'd chosen somewhere else as my first choice uni. I went to the open day in Feb too and agree that it's a nice place, it just really isn't me. I know I could fit in anywhere and can make the most of whatever situation I'm put in because I'm very sociable (in a going out meeting people way, not groups and societies- not my thing) and can't wait to move away, but I feel I'll be missing out on the experiences my friends will be getting at other unis. A lot of my closest friends are male, and I know you can meet people outside the college but it's just the whole all-female atmosphere I don't feel comfortable in.

I don't need telling that I should be grateful for having an offer at all. Rejecting the offer would let a lot of people down and coming from where I do, not many people get such an opportunity. So no, I don't take it for granted, I just feel there no way out!

Rant over

ReputationRep:
    Why does it say on that slip of paper you get initially that these choices are firm and cannot be changed for any reason? I suppose for a number of subjects you can have tutorials outside your college? Is this generally true?

ReputationRep:
    I used to say I'd turn down a Cam offer if I got one from a girls only college. Now I'm not sure. But my problem is much the same, even though I'm sociable, my friends are almost always male .

ReputationRep:
    It's not as if Hilda's girls don't have any male friends.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure they do I don't believe all these rampant lesbian rumours about all girls colleges . It's just that I prefer to be around blokes. Friends from college are supposedly the first friends you make.

Plus with all this Cambridge stabber thing I'd rather be on a staircase full of boaties, except for the occasional LARP nerd with a store of weaponry

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 21, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.