The Student Room Group

Advice desperately needed!!!

So this year my parents have driven all over the country for me to look at vet schools and do work experience 3,000 miles plus! And i tried hard at school and came out with BBC and the best my school will predict me is AAC. What should i do? I meet all the wex im a very interesting person and the only thing stopping me is a really annoying set of AS! :frown:
Original post by JL124251
So this year my parents have driven all over the country for me to look at vet schools and do work experience 3,000 miles plus! And i tried hard at school and came out with BBC and the best my school will predict me is AAC. What should i do? I meet all the wex im a very interesting person and the only thing stopping me is a really annoying set of AS
! :frown:

You're very lucky to have such supportive parents :tongue: Unfortunately their willingness to taxi you around will have no bearing on your application.

Which subject is your C in? If it was one of the new reformed A levels then there's every chance you could get an A this time around without having to do any retakes. Have you spoken to your teachers about why you need the critical AAA prediction? More importantly, do you genuinely yourself believe that you can bring that C up? Have you reflected on why you didn't do so well at AS, and considered how you're going to ensure that you don't make the same mistakes this time around (e.g. did you start your revision early enough, and did you use your time effectively?)

Assuming you're not eligible for any 'gateway' courses, which have lower entry requirements, if you really can't get your predicted grades raised then you have two options really; one would be to resit year 12 entirely to improve your AS results. Some sixth forms allow this and taking a third year at sixth form isn't unheard of for vet students. Alternatively you could continue with year 13, but not apply this year, instead waiting until you have your grades, so that you can apply with your full A levels already achieved to get unconditional offers.

You could also apply to do another course and do veterinary medicine as a graduate, however I would only use this as a last resort as it's very expensive and there is minimal funding available.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
The C was in Biology and the problem is my sixth form are being dead fussy about overpredicting (apparently their reputation depends on it!) so they are going to either predict me C or B if they feel nice! :frown: I feel I can get AAA and possibly A*AA so I believe I can do it! :smile: (the moan about the taxiing was that I feel pressured to deliver since they have done so much and then to be no where near where I need to be is really really bad.
Original post by JL124251
The C was in Biology and the problem is my sixth form are being dead fussy about overpredicting (apparently their reputation depends on it!) so they are going to either predict me C or B if they feel nice! :frown: I feel I can get AAA and possibly A*AA so I believe I can do it! :smile: (the moan about the taxiing was that I feel pressured to deliver since they have done so much and then to be no where near where I need to be is really really bad.

Without the right predictions you'll be at a major disadvantage. Get your parents involved with school- sad to say it but sometimes pressure from parents can work better than asking for it yourself.You also need to make sure the teachers believe in you too - do you work super hard to try to get good marks on h/w and mocks ? Ask your teachers for guidance on how you can improve.

Despite your parents helping you a lot, you need to do with for YOU rather than feeling you need to do it for your parents. Don't feel ashamed of looking into a plan B - whether this be retakes or a different career path!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending