The Student Room Group

Guys, I need help with uni choices

5A*, 5A, and one B at GCSE.
4A and one B (in a language, at A2 level) for my AS results.I will be applying for computer science.

1. My question is, should I apply for Oxford, cutting my choice spaces down to 4? Will I even stand a chance with my somewhat lacklustre grades?

2. How much do the B's affect my chances? I'll be resitting the language though.

3. What about Imperial, and UCL? Do I have a chance with those?

4. Lastly, is it worth it to also apply to American uni's such as Caltech and MIT?
Does anyone know about the application process, whether it's overly streneous?

Thanks in advance, first post on TSR :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Sorry, it seems the site conjoins my paragraphs :frown:
Depends on your UMS tbh for Oxford, and do you know the average grades for your school for gcse's?
Original post by ChrisD0
5A*, 5A, and one B at GCSE.
4A and one B (in a language, at A2 level) for my AS results.I will be applying for computer science.

1. My question is, should I apply for Oxford, cutting my choice spaces down to 4? Will I even stand a chance with my somewhat lacklustre grades?

2. How much do the B's affect my chances? I'll be resitting the language though.

3. What about Imperial, and UCL? Do I have a chance with those?

4. Lastly, is it worth it to also apply to American uni's such as Caltech and MIT?
Does anyone know about the application process, whether it's overly streneous?

Thanks in advance, first post on TSR :smile:

You GCSE grades are a tad below what is typical for successful candidates for Computer Science at Oxford. However, we really don't put much weight on GCSEs (despite the urban myth). The most important parts of the application are the MAT and interviews. The B in a language will have approximately zero effect on your chances; likewise the B at GCSE if it was in a non-relevant subject.

I suggest you have a look at old MAT papers. If you think you can get more than about 50%, then you can make a competitive application.

Gavin
Reply 4
Original post by gavinlowe
You GCSE grades are a tad below what is typical for successful candidates for Computer Science at Oxford. However, we really don't put much weight on GCSEs (despite the urban myth). The most important parts of the application are the MAT and interviews. The B in a language will have approximately zero effect on your chances; likewise the B at GCSE if it was in a non-relevant subject.

I suggest you have a look at old MAT papers. If you think you can get more than about 50%, then you can make a competitive application.

Gavin

Thank you very much for your reply. At GCSE, the B was in ICT, is that a relevant subject? Personally I found there was no mathematical or programming skill involved.
Original post by ChrisD0
Thank you very much for your reply. At GCSE, the B was in ICT, is that a relevant subject? Personally I found there was no mathematical or programming skill involved.

No, we recognise that ICT is pretty irrelevant as far as Computer Science is concerned.

Gavin

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending