Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, i will be starting my access course to nursing and midwifery next month at Bolton college, the 12th of Sept, however, i wish to know if there are extra preparations in terms of stuffs to read up to help with the course. I would be studying Biology, psychology and health studies. Secondly, for those that have gone through the same course, did you just use one A4 or A5 notebook for all the above subjects? Any suggestions and advice would be highly appreciated. Excited and looking forward to it.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Following as I start my access on the 12th.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm also starting on the 12th of this month in Epping Forest college which is in London. I'm a little scared as I've been out of education for 2 years now and I'm 19, most people starting the course seems to be a little older. I have done some research and apparently its really difficult if you dont put the work in. My college told me the work load is equivalent to doing 3 A-levels, only difference is that we do assignments - not exams. I have actually done some research and have read on many websites that we should prepare ahead, especially with ucas and the application of unis, which unis to pick bla bla. I would love to know what subjects your college teaches you, and the different teaching methods of your college!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hatunyuksel)
    Hi! I'm also starting on the 12th of this month in Epping Forest college which is in London. I'm a little scared as I've been out of education for 2 years now and I'm 19, most people starting the course seems to be a little older. I have done some research and apparently its really difficult if you dont put the work in. My college told me the work load is equivalent to doing 3 A-levels, only difference is that we do assignments - not exams. I have actually done some research and have read on many websites that we should prepare ahead, especially with ucas and the application of unis, which unis to pick bla bla. I would love to know what subjects your college teaches you, and the different teaching methods of your college!
    My friend who is about to start uni and completed the access this year, said we basically begin the course by working on our personal statements and UCAS applications as interviews with uni's begin in November. At least this is often the case for Full time access students, so i've been looking at examples and planning what I can put in mine. Also applying for various voluntary positions within care and the elderly as i will finally have enough time (it's something I've been meaning to do for years) and it supports your uni application. Obviously if you have care experience (hca?) that will help too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hatunyuksel)
    Oh and I really wouldn't worry about being 19. There will be older students feeling exactly the same about their age. Ultimately, everyone's in the same boat and just want to make some friends. No one will know each other and you have the course in common which is a great start! Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I did access at Bolton a couple years back (starting 2nd year at UCLan) you'll need a number of A4 notepads, think I went through 4 or 5 over the year. Not much point to my comment really but wishing you well on access

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I start on the 19th. Done no reading

ReputationRep:
    I'm on the access to science course at Bolton starting the 12th! I'm excited but bricking it at the same time haha I'm thinking of buying one if those little notepad computers but think maybe I'll be better off with just some notepads then typing stuff out at home when I've got more time.. I dunno. Anyway good luck! See you on level 3!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.