Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So as I am over 25, I am classed as a dependant student, I have been self supporting myself since I was 18 years old. I also have a child.

I am going into my second year of university in September.

Last year I was single, and living at home was just my son and I.

So i was entitled to full loan and some grants as i gave up work when i started university.

However,

I now have a boyfriend, who works, for tax credits reasons and so he can legally stay at my house , I am going to add him to my Child Tax Credit claim as i dont want to commit fraud with him staying over most the week.

However, its a relatively new set up.

Do i now have to contact student finance and get reassed with his wages?
    Ideally I do not want to. I want to be independent, not relying on my new boyfriends wages as my income.

Can i still do my student finance alone?
    Do Tax credits inform SFE that someone has moved in with me, for me. Or do i still need to ring them?

Its all new to me this

p.s

Im 25, and my boyfriend is 24
    Thanks
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Sophia90)
    So as I am over 25, I am classed as a dependant student, I have been self supporting myself since I was 18 years old. I also have a child.

I am going into my second year of university in September.

Last year I was single, and living at home was just my son and I.

So i was entitled to full loan and some grants as i gave up work when i started university.

However,

I now have a boyfriend, who works, for tax credits reasons and so he can legally stay at my house , I am going to add him to my Child Tax Credit claim as i dont want to commit fraud with him staying over most the week.

However, its a relatively new set up.

Do i now have to contact student finance and get reassed with his wages?
    Ideally I do not want to. I want to be independent, not relying on my new boyfriends wages as my income.

Can i still do my student finance alone?
    Do Tax credits inform SFE that someone has moved in with me, for me. Or do i still need to ring them?

Its all new to me this

p.s

Im 25, and my boyfriend is 24
    Thanks
    You'll have to get reasessed if he is officially living with you although i imagine that if the household income is low enough to get tax credits your loan shouldnt go down too much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    You'll have to get reasessed if he is officially living with you although i imagine that if the household income is low enough to get tax credits your loan shouldnt go down too much.
    Tax credits shouldn't affect the loan at all, as its well below the minimum threshold on loan calculations.

ReputationRep:
    You will have to be reassessed as the amount you receive depends on your household income.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.