The ultimate final year NON-LAW thread Watch

TKR
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i think (hope) that most firms allow you to go straight to a TC assessment day if you've been on a vac scheme with them...
naelse
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I know that at Jones Day there will be a single interview after the vac scheme for those wanting to apply to TCs- so I guess that counts as going straight to second round interviews. I think that most firms will also require you to fill in a fast-track TC application form or write a covering letter and update any details on your original vac scheme application.
TKR
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I read on RoF that for some schemes you're basically guaranteed a TC unless you **** it up - anyone got any thoughts on this?

Just accepted links - it was a wrench though!
brizzo4shizzo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Congrats TKR, I accepted Links yesterday as well so will see u there! Emailed Camerons in the hope of doing something at easter instead- shame they all coincide with each other as I really liked CMS as well
ordinaryisboring
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by brizzo4shizzo)
Emailed Camerons in the hope of doing something at easter instead- shame they all coincide with each other as I really liked CMS as well
I hope they let you as they really are as nice there as everyone says. I did them in my second year.
eliteman
Report 11 years ago
brizzo4shizzo and tkr, what time did links get back to you? was it the same day as interview?

i had mine today, stilll not heard anthing, and its past 5 oclock!
TKR
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
at my interview they said that if it was a yes you would hear on the day...
naelse
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I got a Lovells interview but they said that the Christmas scheme is now full and I can interview for the Easter or summer scheme instead I was kind of hoping to have this whole TC thing over by Feb/March.. Ah well, more time to do my dissertation this Christmas!
brizzo4shizzo
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by eliteman)
brizzo4shizzo and tkr, what time did links get back to you? was it the same day as interview?

i had mine today, stilll not heard anthing, and its past 5 oclock!
They contacted me around 11am the following day so dont lose hope yet!! I know that horrible feeling u get in the evening after an interview, the waiting is usually pretty stressful
silence
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
(Original post by Alexander)
I'm in exactly the same position as you - got rejected from all my vac scheme applications. I'm not all that sure I'm ready to make TC applications as I'd have thought that most law firms would question my lack of a vac scheme, so I'm thinking about just absolutely going for it on the spring/summer vac scheme applications...but having said that that's cutting it a bit fine if I want to secure a TC before I start the GDL (which I definitely do, as I would never be able to afford it without sponsorship!). Any advice, anyone?
i will be going for the spring/summer schemes, but am taking comfort in the anecdote repeated by many that 'it's a lot harder to secure a vac scheme than it is a training contract'. if firms like NR give you an interview for a vac scheme and take interest, it can't be all bad. at this stage, where doing the GDL/LPC unfinanced isn't an option, i'd personally work for any top 30 firm which is willing to take me, in the worst case scenario.

what i am doing is applying to a couple of banks or something on the side - just incase i end up facing a situation where i have either no TC or a TC with a firm that i'm not overly keen to work for - nothing worse than doing two years or study then two years of training somewhere you don't want to be, when you could go straight into a job on £26+ doing something potentially interesting. that's not to show my lack of enthusiasm for law; just a sensible back up plan i think.

Also, I was thinking about seeing if there are any Christmas vacation open days which can be applied for directly (i.e. not just for vac scheme near misses)...I know Bakers does one, but anyone else?
i know a&o do one
Lush Law
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Well done those of you who have vac schemes! I also admire you for being able to do them over Christmas if you have exams, I know I couldn't!
eliteman
Report 11 years ago
got links, they phoned me the evening!
TKR
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Nice one - are you going to accept?
Alexander
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by silence)
i will be going for the spring/summer schemes, but am taking comfort in the anecdote repeated by many that 'it's a lot harder to secure a vac scheme than it is a training contract'.
Just wondering, what's stopping you from applying for TCs directly? For me it's because although I am pretty sure I want to do law, I feel that I don't really have sufficient direct experience to back that up in applications/interview without having done a vac scheme. Although having said that, I have actually just sent in an application for a TC direct - to test the water, I suppose.
ordinaryisboring
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by silence)

i know a&o do one
On the a&o note, I was on their website today and discovered that if you get a vac scheme interview and they turn you down then you can't apply for a TC for a year after that. Does anyone know of any other firms that have this policy?
Zarathustra
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ordinaryisboring)
On the a&o note, I was on their website today and discovered that if you get a vac scheme interview and they turn you down then you can't apply for a TC for a year after that. Does anyone know of any other firms that have this policy?
Did it say specifically if you get an interview? I thought a rejection at any stage for the A&O vac scheme meant no TC app.

DWS will not accept an application for a TC if you are rejected for an open day...Think there are a couple of others but I've forgotten now!
ordinaryisboring
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Zarathustra)
Did it say specifically if you get an interview? I thought a rejection at any stage for the A&O vac scheme meant no TC app.

DWS will not accept an application for a TC if you are rejected for an open day...Think there are a couple of others but I've forgotten now!
Yes, that's what it says.

http://www.aograduate.com/en/Work-fo...ction-process/
mr_lawyer
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by TKR)
I read on RoF that for some schemes you're basically guaranteed a TC unless you **** it up - anyone got any thoughts on this?

Just accepted links - it was a wrench though!

For Links, this is overwhelmingly the case - I think they have one of the highest offer rates, and, as far as I can tell, the highest acceptance from their vacation schemes. Plus, they only let a few non-law students on their summer schemes. So you must be considered a very, very strong candidate (they also invite a large number of Xmas applicants on workshops)
eliteman
Report 11 years ago
yeah im taking links. what are your practice preferences guys? does it matte which we choose? pm if you don't wanna say here
silence
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Just wondering, what's stopping you from applying for TCs directly? For me it's because although I am pretty sure I want to do law, I feel that I don't really have sufficient direct experience to back that up in applications/interview without having done a vac scheme. Although having said that, I have actually just sent in an application for a TC direct - to test the water, I suppose.
my only experience is a week at a city firm back in 2003 (after gcses!). i'm 100% sure that i want to do law, but a lack of experience at this stage won't help, when plenty of other candidates will have done several placements at firms and have something to talk about from that angle. some current trainees i've spoken to have said, however, that they never did a vac scheme. in short, the same things are stopping me.

i can't tell whether, in order to get a TC, doing a vac scheme truly is a necessity. graduate entry into this profession sees such a disorientating mixture of widely known anecdotes, hard to discover facts and forever kept secrets of firms biases and preferences.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (61)
20%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (120)
39.34%
Nope, not that interesting (124)
40.66%

Watched Threads