Turn on thread page Beta

The ultimate final year NON-LAW thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Giannakis)
    Sorry to change the subject but just had a quick question.

I'm studying Politics at York and am in my final year + have offers from CoL and BPP. I want to take a year out before starting the GDL etc as its probably the best time to take time out now. Anyway, i was just wondering if anyone had any idea about deferrals? I mean, CoL have it specifically written on their site that they usually give deferrals but if its for a reason. Is anyone in the same boat as me or does anyone have any idea whether the reason has to be 'good'. I mean, would it be wrong to say that I want to take some time out, am still quite young, would like to get some more work experience, work at an NGO etc.. something along those lines?

Any advice would be great, thanks.
    I'm in the same boat as you - I'm in my final year of a non-law degree, know I definitely want to go into law, and have offers to start the GDL this September from CoL and BPP. I want to take a year out to get some more work experience/travel, as it feels like this is my last chance to do so. I asked at a CoL open day a while ago about deferring and the response was that its generally fine, although you still have to pay at least the deposit this year (there may be another payment too, I'm not sure).

What I'm more worried about is how law firms would view a year out at this stage. I know I've read somewhere that many law firms see starting the GDL without a training contract as a positive, as it shows a strong commitment to a career in the law despite possible uncertain prospects. Would taking a year out at this stage be a big disadvantage? I'm worried that it might seem to law firms as though I'd applied for training contracts this year and been unsuccessful, and been wary of starting the GDL without one (which isn't the case). Has anyone on here been offered a tc after taking a year out between uni and the GDL?

Any advice would be great

ReputationRep:
    Thats good to hear about the deferrals.

About how law firms will take it - Well last summer I had an internship at one of the big shipping law firms and I was an assistant to one of the regional partners and I spoke to him about this. He was telling me that he gets "bored" of people coming straight out of university with no experience and applying for TC's etc "like sheep"... and he was going on to me that he prefers to read a CV that is interesting and one which shows that you have experience of some sort (even if it is not in law). One of the trainees there was 29 and had been doing other things for 10 years - quite a lot of those years were spent in the army but I mean the boss used him as an example of something more interesting... Anyway, i'm rambling now but I wouldn't worry about that. Realistically if you get something done other than travelling that you will be able to add to your CV then I think its fine. And, more importantly - as you said, when else will you have this kind of opportunity/freedom to do things you want to do..?

Another plus is that next year when you apply for TCs (again), you'll be able to focus on applying without essays, exams and whatnot on your back..

ReputationRep:
    Giannakis haven't you effectively answered your own question in your two posts?:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    haha, well sort of. I was more worried about being rejected the request of a referral from CoL itself + wanted to see what others thought about that

I'm sure most people could answer most of their questions with what they 'think', its just nice to get another point of view or in some cases a concrete 'you're wrong' or 'you're right'. If we both saw a film and I asked you what you thought of it - i'm not asking because I didn't understand or don't know what it was about. There is the possibility that in the reply to my question you might highlight something that I didn't think of + it might change how I would answer the same question. Stupid analogy but I'm sure you get what I mean. I apologise if I've broken some forum decorum - am very new at this.

ReputationRep:
    Out of interest, what will you lot be doing heading to London for the GDL? Plans for moving into Halls or into rented accomodation? Doesn't seem much difference in price...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cjw)
    Out of interest, what will you lot be doing heading to London for the GDL? Plans for moving into Halls or into rented accomodation? Doesn't seem much difference in price...
    Well, after what I believe to be the biggest Panic! in the disco ever on my behalf (I'm torn between continuing in London and doing law, and going to Scotland after I graduate), and am constantly worrying now because I have no actual law experience, and the fear of not getting a TC either before or during the GDL... I'm hopefully moving in with a friend's ex and a couple of returning German undergrads into private accommodation. After two years of living in private accom, I prefer them over halls.

ReputationRep:
    i'll be living at home during the GDL and probably LPC when in london.

i know it's not the most typical student experience, but having stayed in halls during the first year of university and having slummed it in a horrendous student house for the other two years, i'm more than ready to live at home for a bit.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed Silence! I've had enough of student housing and I've still got one more year to go! Hopefully I'll be doing the GDL in Nottingham so I can live at home, saving lots of money (I hope!). Plus it'll be nice to see the parents for one last time before I'm gone for good! Yes I'm a softie at heart....

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, everybody seems to be living at home then, looks like I will have to do a lot of photo shoots to pay the bills

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah1211)
    I'm in the same boat as you - I'm in my final year of a non-law degree, know I definitely want to go into law, and have offers to start the GDL this September from CoL and BPP. I want to take a year out to get some more work experience/travel, as it feels like this is my last chance to do so. I asked at a CoL open day a while ago about deferring and the response was that its generally fine, although you still have to pay at least the deposit this year (there may be another payment too, I'm not sure).

What I'm more worried about is how law firms would view a year out at this stage. I know I've read somewhere that many law firms see starting the GDL without a training contract as a positive, as it shows a strong commitment to a career in the law despite possible uncertain prospects. Would taking a year out at this stage be a big disadvantage? I'm worried that it might seem to law firms as though I'd applied for training contracts this year and been unsuccessful, and been wary of starting the GDL without one (which isn't the case). Has anyone on here been offered a tc after taking a year out between uni and the GDL?

Any advice would be great

I'd really encourage you to take a year out. Properly structured, such a year will massively improve your application. It is difficult to answer the other parts of your query, as these would vary very much on your particular profile.

I can say - however - that the 'suspicion' that not wishing to take up the GDL without sponsorship indicates a lack of commitment is most unlikely. The established view, certainly at the top 10-15 firms, is that taking the LPC without sponsorship is desperate. Waiting, if anything, indicates a clearer sense of self-worth. It also makes sound financial sense, given that very few firms will refund all of the course fees + grant (and even if they do, you can be made to pay tax on this, whereas if the course fees+grant are given up front, no tax is due).

Good luck. For more detailed info, it might be helpful to let everyone know:
    (a) your degree course/uni, expected result
    (b) proposed ideas for gap year
    (c) law firms you are most keen to train at (i.e. MC, US, National)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cjw)
    Hmm, everybody seems to be living at home then, looks like I will have to do a lot of photo shoots to pay the bills
    I'm not, the commute would be too long so it's student housing for me!

ReputationRep:
    Are you moving in with friends from University or just looking somewhere, anywhere that will keep you warm and out of danger?

ReputationRep:
    None of my friends from uni are heading to the north, everyone seems to aim for London. I think I'll just go in the halls BPP suggest.

ReputationRep:
    Oh you aren't going to BPP London then. My mistake...

ReputationRep:
    Nah, BPP Leeds.

ReputationRep:
    I have just been invited to an open day at Allen & Overy so I'm pretty excited . Anyone else is going/has been in the past?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gosha)
    I have just been invited to an open day at Allen & Overy so I'm pretty excited . Anyone else is going/has been in the past?
    Yes, its good. They normally change it every year though; when I went you spent 2 hours shadowing a trainee (pretty pointless). Last year on my VS my trainee buddy said they had workshop exercises etc (good practice for interviews at a lot of firms!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr_lawyer)
    Yes, its good. They normally change it every year though; when I went you spent 2 hours shadowing a trainee (pretty pointless). Last year on my VS my trainee buddy said they had workshop exercises etc (good practice for interviews at a lot of firms!)

do you think the open day helped you to get a VS? I've read that some firms really make it obvious they are assessing people at the open days - is it a case with A&O?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, at my A&O open day it was quite clear that we were being assessed.

ReputationRep:
    How many people were there approximately?

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.