Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Exactly.

This doesn't disadvantage poorer students (like myself) any more than they (we) are, already.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry, I had no idea that Career Development Loans were any different to the ordinary law loans that some banks offer.

ReputationRep:
    Just had a quick question since many people on here seem to be in the know.

What are the chances of getting financial help with the law conversion and/or LPC if you're interested in working in non-commercial settings i.e with firms doing a lot of legal aid work etc.

Really vague I know, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    Probably not very good, it's just the reality than the commercial firms have all the money.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I figured as much, I just wondered if the gravitation of people towards the richer firms with the higher salaries might help balance it out....

Wishful thinking I suppose. Am thinking about law and if I did go into it I would love to do that sort of work but I just could NOT afford to fund a cpe and lpc by myself.

ReputationRep:
    One possibility is to get a training contract with one of the commercial firms which does some 'human' work such as family, private client, PI, human rights, etc. That way, when you've qualified it should be easier to move into legal aid than if you've trained with a large corporate firm. But you have to not let on that this is your intention. Also, this will in all likelihood involve a massive pay cut.

ReputationRep:
    i find the term 'legal-aid' a bit of a tautology.

any legal work, whether giving free advice to property tennants with minor disputes wit hthe landlord over rent, or helping barclays take over a foreign bank - it's all aid of some sort. many firms do place special emphasis on pro bono, although it will be no more than a few hours a week for the employees that do it. perhaps start corporate and then see where that leads you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silence)
    i find the term 'legal-aid' a bit of a tautology.

any legal work, whether giving free advice to property tennants with minor disputes wit hthe landlord over rent, or helping barclays take over a foreign bank - it's all aid of some sort. many firms do place special emphasis on pro bono, although it will be no more than a few hours a week for the employees that do it. perhaps start corporate and then see where that leads you.
    It's not tautologous. A tautology is an expression which is internally contradictory.

Legal aid refers solely to publicly funded work, so it is clearly distinguishable from both commercial and pro bono work. Why should he start in corporate? It isn't what he wants to do, and there are plenty of other options out there. I really hate the fact that lots of people on this board seem to think that the only legal career available or worth having is in the City.:rolleyes:

Andy: There is funding available in the form of scholarships from the Trainee Solicitors' Group and individual GDL and LPC providers, so it is worth exploring these options. The Law Society is actually really keen to encourage new trainees to take on publicly funded work, so there may well be even more scholarships available when you come to apply.

ReputationRep:
    I agree, if you don't want to do corporate law it's not like you can just rock up and get a TC with them easily and then run off. Well, you can run off, but getting the TC will be hard as you'll never appear as dedicated as the people who genuinely want to do it.

I also hate people who go to corporate authomatically, despite the fact that they don't even like it and assume that everyone should... just daft.

ReputationRep:
    I must admit that it does seem insane that the only people who can currently seem to get into publicly funded work (apart from a very lucky minority) are those rich enough to fund their own training. Call me a little bit of a reverse snob but that doesn't strike me as a demographic particulaly likely to take it up in large droves....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economicz)
    It's not tautologous. A tautology is an expression which is internally contradictory.
    No it isn't. 'Tautology' is a compound of the Attic Greek 'tautos' ('same') and logos ('word'/'idea'). It signifies a semantically redundant repetition: saying the same thing twice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kalokagathia)
    No it isn't. 'Tautology' is a compound of the Attic Greek 'tautos' ('same') and logos ('word'/'idea'). It signifies a semantically redundant repetition: saying the same thing twice.
    My name incidentally is widely considered to have been tautological: what is good is beautiful, and what is beautiful is good.

I, of course, am both.. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kalokagathia)
    My name incidentally is widely considered to have been tautological: what is good is beautiful, and what is beautiful is good.

I, of course, am both.. :p:
    Kalokagathia looks a bit like a troll and is certainly nothing if not very bad indeed.

x

ReputationRep:
    hahaha, he got hit with the ugly stick by freddie flintoff (for non cricket fans, that means very hard).

ReputationRep:
    back to the thread topic...

today i received my first interview invitation for an xmas vac scheme, taking place in less than two weeks. it's bang in the middle of freshers week, so all is quite busy. very excited though. will have to spend the next few days really getting to grips with all things legal and commercial.

ReputationRep:
    well done

ReputationRep:
    hope everything's good application wise with you too. sure it will be

such a great void between the invite to interview and offer of a vac scheme place though! simultaneously bricking and relishing it.

ReputationRep:
    Argh. If certain firms say that their vac scheme apps will open in mid-september then they should bloody well be open by now! Humph.

ReputationRep:
    i was just on their website!!! have emailed the grad rec team asking for a specific date if possible - every other firm can manage it so why not them?

ReputationRep:
    For a CV/CL application... how long is too long for the letter? I'm not sure that I'm going to be able to fit everything in on even two pages since everything covered by motivation/competency questions has to be included as well as EC stuff that isn't appropriate for the CV, argh! I know I'm a bit late off the mark with this one; I wasn't going to apply to them but I changed my mind.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.