Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I live about 20 miles away from Cardiff University which is the best Uni for the course I want to study. I desperately do not want to stay at home whilst at uni, but someone told me if you live within 30 miles you will not get a living loan or accommodation. Can you still get living loan and accommodation if you live within 30 miles of uni?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    it doesn't matter how far away you live. It just depends whether you live at home for uni or elsewhere. My sister moved out for uni and lived in the same city. She got the loan for living away from home.

ReputationRep:
    My son is living at home with me. He still gets a Maintenance Loan and a grant. He still has to contribute towards his food ,electric and bills, and they realise you still have to be able to support yourself. [Not that he gives me anywhere near enough money; he prefers spending it all on new clothes. Grr.]

ReputationRep:
    I knew someone that moved into halls a 5 minute walk from their house in Cardiff! Yes you still get everything you would be entitled to if you had moved, say, 100 miles, as long as you're not living at home during term-time Great uni choice btw (not that I'm biased...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alys.M)
    I live about 20 miles away from Cardiff University which is the best Uni for the course I want to study. I desperately do not want to stay at home whilst at uni, but someone told me if you live within 30 miles you will not get a living loan or accommodation. Can you still get living loan and accommodation if you live within 30 miles of uni?
    Yes you can get the living away from home amount, doesn't matter where you live as long as its not the parental home. As far as accomodation goes, again you'll be guarenteed a room in halls at Cardiff as long as you apply on time and have the uni as your firm/insurance. (Some universities don't include local students in their guarentee)

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.