Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My parents have just thrown an ultimatum at me saying if I go to uni, they will never let me come home again. Of course, this has upset me a lot because it's been my dream to go to uni for years and they don't want me to go. They're complaining that it will cost them too much money, but I get the maximum maintenance loan and a bursary, so I don't need financial support. All I want is for them to be supportive of what I want to do.

Also, they tell me that I'm too quiet and dumb to go to uni. I've suffered from social anxiety for ages and I've told them there's support for people like me, but no, that's not good enough. They call me dumb because I got BCC at a level and because I got straight A's at GCSE, they think I'm automatically guaranteed straight A's at A level. This has confused me because my parents told me I should be ashamed of myself getting these grades but my teachers said they're good grades, but yet again, my parents don't give a **** about what my teachers said.

Please tell me what I'm supposed to do because their hurtful comments about me going to uni is getting me down and they tell me I'm just going to escape from them. It's really making me mad, please help
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by CastilloIberico)
    My parents have just thrown an ultimatum at me saying if I go to uni, they will never let me come home again. Of course, this has upset me a lot because it's been my dream to go to uni for years and they don't want me to go. They're complaining that it will cost them too much money, but I get the maximum maintenance loan and a bursary, so I don't need financial support. All I want is for them to be supportive of what I want to do.

Also, they tell me that I'm too quiet and dumb to go to uni. I've suffered from social anxiety for ages and I've told them there's support for people like me, but no, that's not good enough. They call me dumb because I got BCC at a level and because I got straight A's at GCSE, they think I'm automatically guaranteed straight A's at A level. This has confused me because my parents told me I should be ashamed of myself getting these grades but my teachers said they're good grades, but yet again, my parents don't give a **** about what my teachers said.

Please tell me what I'm supposed to do because their hurtful comments about me going to uni is getting me down and they tell me I'm just going to escape from them. It's really making me mad, please help
    Honestly, if they were my parents I would cut them out of my life. You can't choose your family but you can choose not to let them hurt you so get out of there as soon as you can, and they may realise how stupid they are to lose you.

ReputationRep:
    Wow that's a tough situation! I've never heard of a situation like this! Honestly, I think education is really important and if you need university for your chosen career then it's really important. I do think you can do well in life (depending on your chosen career) without university but there are also a lot of valuable experience and lessons you can gain from going to university, especially if you have suffered with anxiety.
    I would just explain to them why you have to go and go ahead and do it and hope they eventually come round to the idea once they see that you're not costing them any money and that you're benefiting a lot from being at uni.

ReputationRep:
    Family is overrated. Do what makes you happy

ReputationRep:
    Don't let them stand in the way of what you want to do. You have every right to go to uni and do what you want, it's your life, not theirs - don't let them ruin it for you. Especially considering you won't be costing them anything (i'm in a similar position as i also am getting the maximum maintenance loan, so hopefully my mum won't have to pay for anything because i know she probably won't be able to afford it even if she wants to help me out). Btw, those are great grades i got three C's and i'm over the moon as i got my uni place (i got mainly A's and B's at GCSE too).

You should go, jokes on your parents when you graduate and get a great job

Hope this helps in any way, and good luck! X

ReputationRep:
    i would cut them off if i were you, not the easiest thing to do but they don't seem like a good family to be around

ReputationRep:
    Go to uni and show them who's dumb

ReputationRep:

Go to University and get out of that toxic environment. You don't need that in your life, no one does. Of course they'll let you go home, they just obviously have issues and are tryimg to control you.
    Break free now, and show that that you wont be blackmailed into staying at home. They'll eventually respect you for it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

The answer is simple. Go to uni. It's your life, and if they don't want you back, then fine, don't go back. They can't keep you forever, and it's not their decision to make. Make your own way in life, since they are clearly toxic and don't want you to succeed. If I were you, I'd find a university far away from them really.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 1, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.