Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Who else got an A^? When I tell people my results, their are all like "what's A^". NO ONE has heard of A hat or as some call it, the A* with distinction. I really wish I got an A* on it instead now (could've just missed out a few questions) because that would save me from a lot explaining and what's more- people would actually recognize the grade. I don't even know that much about an A^ myself... I mean, will universities know what that grade is? How many UCAS points is it worth? Is it just the A* equivalent for other subjects (so the A^ in further maths is equivalent to an A* in normal GCSE and A* in FM is equivalent to A in normal GCSE.. and so on)? I have tried searching about this grade online but it has led me to nowhere. Seriously, I have so many questions about this A^ grade. Who else?
    I just made you read me rant about A^... sorry about that

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I don't have an answer to your question but I was wondering if I should take further maths ? everyone in top set has been offered We have to have lessons after school if we want to do it. It may be too much for me. Would you recommend it?

ReputationRep:
    I got an A^ as well. I feel like you're stressing out a little bit too much about this. When I tell people what it is they usually understand but that's probably because a lot of people in my year have been informed. If people ask just say that further maths has an extra higher grade, nothing else needs to be said.
    Universities will probably understand it and you could just write it as A^(A* with distinction) on your CV. An A* is equivalent to a normal A* in other GCSEs but the A^ just shows that you got a much higher mark. Really further maths probably brings no benefits other than extra help for A levels as GCSEs are generally not that important for university applications but it is definitely still useful to have.

Look at this link I found for more information: http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/mathe...360/why-choose

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mandymoocow)
    Who else got an A^? When I tell people my results, their are all like "what's A^". NO ONE has heard of A hat or as some call it, the A* with distinction. I really wish I got an A* on it instead now (could've just missed out a few questions) because that would save me from a lot explaining and what's more- people would actually recognize the grade. I don't even know that much about an A^ myself... I mean, will universities know what that grade is? How many UCAS points is it worth? Is it just the A* equivalent for other subjects (so the A^ in further maths is equivalent to an A* in normal GCSE and A* in FM is equivalent to A in normal GCSE.. and so on)? I have tried searching about this grade online but it has led me to nowhere. Seriously, I have so many questions about this A^ grade. Who else?
    I just made you read me rant about A^... sorry about that
    I got an A^ also (last year).
    I'd personally tell people that it is an A* with distinction, as that's easier to understand. It's just a grade to show that you really excelled in the qualification, and got a lot more marks than required for an A*, and AQA felt that needed to be rewarded.
    You don't get UCAS points for it, because it is a GCSE, a Level 2 qualification.
    It is not an equivalent like you're suggesting, it is just there to show that you're good at maths. It is only possible to get it in the AQA Level 2 Certificate in Further Maths. It is literally a grade above an A*.

Also, many people take this qualifications, universities will recognise it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxNoodlezxx)
    Sorry I don't have an answer to your question but I was wondering if I should take further maths ? everyone in top set has been offered We have to have lessons after school if we want to do it. It may be too much for me. Would you recommend it?
    I would recommend it.A lot of people can get an A with just GCSE knowledge (assuming that they can get a strong A* in normal maths) so it wouldn't be too much trouble. You get to learn calculus and matrices which you wouldn't otherwise learn about until A levels (matrices is only in further maths A Level).

It would require quite a bit of work to understand those two topics but once you get the hang of it they're very easy so I would definitely recommend taking the chance to study further maths at GCSE level!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxNoodlezxx)
    I'd say if you're good at maths it's definitely an easy GCSE to get (the grade boundaries are pretty low) . So go for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AspiringUnderdog)
    I would recommend it.A lot of people can get an A with just GCSE knowledge (assuming that they can get a strong A* in normal maths) so it wouldn't be too much trouble. You get to learn calculus and matrices which you wouldn't otherwise learn about until A levels (matrices is only in further maths A Level).

It would require quite a bit of work to understand those two topics but once you get the hang of it they're very easy so I would definitely recommend taking the chance to study further maths at GCSE level!
    Thank you so much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mandymoocow)
    I'd say if you're good at maths it's definitely an easy GCSE to get (the grade boundaries are pretty low) . So go for it.
    Thanks so much! I think I'll do it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.