Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I've been talking to a guy recently and I see potential but I'm not quite sure yet, he wants to meet up but I feel like I need to get to know him a lot better and this would be my first time meeting someone that I haven't seen face to face. Also when holidays finish I'm going to be extremely busy and I don't want to tell my parents I'm going out to meet a guy I've never seen irl as they are extremely strict when it comes to gus. Another thing is that he takes so long to reply to my messages and he says he's busy but I feel like he just forgets about me. We don't talk us much anymore because he's busy so that's another reason I don't feel like meeting up. I need around 6 months more of getting to know him but I don't think he'll wait that long because which guy sticks around for that long nowadays :rolleyes: I need a way of telling him this, I don't want him thinking I'm not meeting because I'm a catfish or something because I'm not and I've given him enough evidence. Help please....

ReputationRep:
    How did you meet him?

If you do meet, do so in a public place for your safety.

(Original post by SpiritSharD)
    How did you meet him?

If you do meet, do so in a public place for your safety.
    we met on social media, we talk on the phone and snapchat and stuff like that... he wants to meet for coffee

ReputationRep:
    I feel like if you're unsure you probably don't like him enough. A better way to get to know someone is to meet in person. Delaying doing so early on could mean you are disappointed when you eventually meet up. I would advise you to talk to him on Skype first and if you feel comfortable enough, then go ahead and meet up with him. Bring a friend if need be, but if you don't feel like you like him in that way don't lead him on.

ReputationRep:
    If you've snap chatted him, then he probably doesn't think you're a cat fish.

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? Definitely don't meet up with him until you are ready, as otherwise you could just be a bag of nerves in the run up to the meeting or even potentially during the meeting.
    I will say this though, if you live quite near each other (so that distance isn't the issue for not meeting up) then some guys will find it frustrating (and so end up losing interest) to just message and would wanna see you in person to get a feel of things between you two in real life.
    If it's just to meet for coffee you may as well go for it next time he asks. Arrange to meet a friend straight away afterwards so you have something to look forward to after the coffee date and someone you can talk to about how it all went
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've been talking to a guy recently and I see potential but I'm not quite sure yet, he wants to meet up but I feel like I need to get to know him a lot better and this would be my first time meeting someone that I haven't seen face to face. Also when holidays finish I'm going to be extremely busy and I don't want to tell my parents I'm going out to meet a guy I've never seen irl as they are extremely strict when it comes to gus. Another thing is that he takes so long to reply to my messages and he says he's busy but I feel like he just forgets about me. We don't talk us much anymore because he's busy so that's another reason I don't feel like meeting up. I need around 6 months more of getting to know him but I don't think he'll wait that long because which guy sticks around for that long nowadays :rolleyes: I need a way of telling him this, I don't want him thinking I'm not meeting because I'm a catfish or something because I'm not and I've given him enough evidence. Help please....

Obviously you are aware of the dangers of meeting people online, and you can never be too sure about people you don't know. The best idea is to meet somewhere not near to your house, in a very public place - a coffee shop is a good idea - at a sociable hour in the day when it will be busy. Take a friend with you that you trust to tell, and make them sit on a different table. Then if you are in trouble, you can just leave together.
    The fact is it probably won't be as extreme as this, because you've spoken to him on the phone. But please be safe and not sorry.
    Also, with regards to the 'not replying' thing, he is probably a normal working guy who doesn't spend much time on his phone. But if he's not giving you a reason to meet him, then don't. Go with your gut instinct.
    Good luck and be safe

ReputationRep:

dont put yourself in danger, only meet people that you have seen in person. and just tell him you dont want to be putting yourself in any danger.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Then just be honest and tell him you are not ready to meet yet, if he doesn't stick around then he's not the guy for you.

ReputationRep:
    6 months to get to know each other online without meeting is pretty long unless its impossible to meet up. He would probably get frustrated but also how do you know if you both will get on in person? why spend 6 months getting to know him what if he isnt what you expected or you realise he isnt what you want you would have wasted 6 months over nothing. Gather some courage and meet him in a public place if it goes well great if not then move on plenty of other guys around.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 31, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.