The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Well of course he exists!

That's all I wanted to know. Enjoy. :biggrin:

And I'm not getting into this whole conspiracy debate again.
Reply 21
SiAz
Since when was liberal an insult though? You're only confirming you're brainwashed by indulging in the use of politicised language. Are you familiar with the manipulation of language as described most famously by Eric Blair? :confused:

'political language' is only there to give means of expressing certain concepts rather than trying to assemble a load of words to describe the idea. doublespeak was used as a way of limiting vocabulary and consequently thought so that 'thoughtcrime' was impossible. So in fact, the existance of politicised language expands thought so is actually the complete opposite of what you're accusing it of being.

Please don't misuse ideas in orwell books coz he's a legend!
Reply 22
mateyface
'political language' is only there to give means of expressing certain concepts rather than trying to assemble a load of words to describe the idea. doublespeak was used as a way of limiting vocabulary and consequently thought so that 'thoughtcrime' was impossible. So in fact, the existance of politicised language expands thought so is actually the complete opposite of what you're accusing it of being.

Please don't misuse ideas in orwell books coz he's a legend!

Doublespeak wasn't the only thing he wrote about,

"Political language -- and with variations this is true of all political parties, from Conservatives to Anarchists -- is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable." - George Orwell

You hit the nail on the head when you say political language is a mask for proscribed concepts. Yet all language is this, the difference being that the concepts alluded to in political terms are gradually warped, creating support for concepts simply through the inheritance of the term rather than what the term actually represents. I think I could explain that better but im sure you understand.

It also seems to me that society is built on faux conflicts like left Vs right, capitalism Vs communism, science Vs religion.. which was another thing orwell touched upon. :smile:
Reply 23
Alright, yeah i get what you're saying. You win! grrrr

Latest

Trending

Trending