Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I got a B in maths for AS is it possible for me to still get an A at the end of A2?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yes, that's what I got.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F_Afzal)
    Hey

I got a B in maths for AS is it possible for me to still get an A at the end of A2?
    Yes you will have to work hard, what went wrong? What is your UMS? Why do you think you didnt get an A at AS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LPauling)
    Yes you will have to work hard, what went wrong? What is your UMS? Why do you think you didnt get an A at AS
    i got 120 UMS points. Is that not enough? I guess i was caught off guard with C1 due to the fractions and weird answers.

ReputationRep:
    If resitting is an option, I would maybe suggest resitting one of the AS papers to increase your chances of getting an A. It depends on your UMS and your percentage, but it does mean you will have to get a very high UMS at A2 Maths without resitting any AS papers

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emem2011)
    If resitting is an option, I would maybe suggest resitting one of the AS papers to increase your chances of getting an A. It depends on your UMS and your percentage, but it does mean you will have to get a very high UMS at A2 Maths without resitting any AS papers

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do you think resitting one of my exams and then adding that onto the 120 UMS points will be enough to get an A at the end of A2?

ReputationRep:
    Do you think resitting one of my exams and then adding that onto the 120 UMS points will be enough to get an A at the end of A2?
    How much is your maths grade out of in total? Depends on how far you are from the A but resitting your lowest mark will at least give you a chance of raising the grade!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    i got 120 UMS points. Is that not enough? I guess i was caught off guard with C1 due to the fractions and weird answers.
    Trust me, resit some maths exams and you can deffo get an A as long as your other modules are good. I got my A2 results and I retook c1 and c2. Like everyone in year below found c1 and c2 hard and complained about the fractions but I found it way easier the 2nd time round and dropped 5 marks in both. (Got 2 B's in both before, wasnt a high B)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michaelj99)
    Trust me, resit some maths exams and you can deffo get an A as long as your other modules are good. I got my A2 results and I retook c1 and c2. Like everyone in year below found c1 and c2 hard and complained about the fractions but I found it way easier the 2nd time round and dropped 5 marks in both. (Got 2 B's in both before, wasnt a high B)
    Wow five marks off! That's really good. I've heard though that retaking some exams in the second year especially for maths is gonna be hard. Is that true and how hard can it get?

ReputationRep:
    Wow five marks off! That's really good. I've heard though that retaking some exams in the second year especially for maths is gonna be hard. Is that true and how hard can it get?
    I'd say the opposite and say it's the easiest to retake in 2nd year at least the core modules. You learn integration and differentiation in c3 and c4 (and s2) and you apply the basic skills in all of them so you don't really need to recap that, you're doing it all year round. Only thing you'd have to "relearn" is series and circles as well as those long mark questions they have most of the time in c2 like max/min volumes. Main thing is to manage your time and make sure you do all the past papers still and learn the method of the weird questions.

ReputationRep:
    120 UMS is a low E not a B. What did you get on the individual units?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Compost)
    120 UMS is a low E not a B. What did you get on the individual units?
    sorry i read the wrong column on the results sheet. I received 220 UMS points not 120. oops

on the individual units i got C1 78 C2 72 S1 70

ReputationRep:
    yes however the way to get this is different depending on the breakdown since this years results matter. if you got B in C1, C2, and the appled module, re-sit C1 as second time round you should get an A, depending on how you feel about the other two maybe consider re sitting one you feel you can get an A in, but that's kinda optional. this year though try to aim for A's in 2 of the three modules and a B in the other.

i asked myself the same question actually, however my situatiuon is a bit different to the one i stated above, i got an A in C1, B in C2 and C in S1 so im going to resit S1 to get a B at least, then revise for C3/4 (M1 should be easy as i did physics previously) in better ways than my previous year and try for the A's in all three.

Basically, re sit any exams you feel you couldve done better, and find out what A students do to revise (tactics rather than specific papers) for this years exams.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.