Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    For my GCSEs I achieved appalling grades 1A*6A2B. I have just received my AS results and achieved AAAC in maths, physics , chemistry and further maths respectively, which I know isn't up to Oxbridge standards. I am going to do maths physics and further maths at A2. If I achieve A*A*A/A*A*A* by working hard and resitting AS FM, could I get a place for physics at oxford if I apply for 2018???

please be brutally honest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chemgawd99)
    For my GCSEs I achieved appalling grades 1A*6A2B. I have just received my AS results and achieved AAAC in maths, physics , chemistry and further maths respectively, which I know isn't up to Oxbridge standards. I am going to do maths physics and further maths at A2. If I achieve A*A*A/A*A*A* by working hard and resitting AS FM, could I get a place for physics at oxford if I apply for 2018???

please be brutally honest
    Hey,
    Don't worry about your GCSEs as Oxford doesn't really care (I believe they used to though which might have started the myth). There is a cut off point for the PAT test and if you are above it you will be interviewed regardless of your GCSEs.

Again with A-Levels they don't seem to care, in fact my interviewer told me in person when I (stupidly) asked. As long as your predicted/achieved grades match/ is higher than the requirement it's fine.

Your grades are good, though not the best in terms of Oxford candidates. Whether you can get a place or not depends on whether these grades are an accurate representation of your abilities and potential or did something external like family issues affect your performance.

P.S Why not apply this year too? Extra experience never hurts.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.