Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Dear fellow IB students,

I really pray that people here can disagree with me when I say this and direct me to online resources that will solve my problem. But I doubt this will be the case.

My quarrel is that the IB has such shoddy resources available online! When I did my GCSEs, I felt I could find my syllabus, unit by unit, and very specifically know what I needed to learn, to the extent that someone who had never attended a school which taught GCSEs would be able to have a go at them by self-teaching. This would be impossible with the IB. Sure, there are IB textbooks and revision guides, fair enough, excellent. But even then, I think the resources should be available online from the IB website on the public domain. Many IB subjects do not have textbooks or revision guides available specifically to them. You go on the IB website and when you scour for information regarding specifications or syllabuses, you just get an outline of the course as if it's some sort of advertisement, and if you're lucky the names of the main units.

I believe that if you log into the 'OCC' (Here http://occ.ibo.org/ibis/occ/guest/home.cfm) you will find what you are looking for. But I don't have access to one of these accounts - why is information regarding our subjects kept secret from us and only accessible to our teachers.

Many IB schools generously put out their resources online but again, these are specific to the school most of the time and the guides often incomplete, only slightly more detailed than the IB. I think it's ridiculous!! I feel like it's a conspiracy because it's just so stupid. The IB needs to fix up and put out some official resources for students - and I mean COMPREHENSIVE sources. How can an international qualification organisation put less effort into the propagation of their official online resources than national qualification organisations!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheaterstride)
    Dear fellow IB students,

I really pray that people here can disagree with me when I say this and direct me to online resources that will solve my problem. But I doubt this will be the case.

My quarrel is that the IB has such shoddy resources available online! When I did my GCSEs, I felt I could find my syllabus, unit by unit, and very specifically know what I needed to learn, to the extent that someone who had never attended a school which taught GCSEs would be able to have a go at them by self-teaching. This would be impossible with the IB. Sure, there are IB textbooks and revision guides, fair enough, excellent. But even then, I think the resources should be available online from the IB website on the public domain. Many IB subjects do not have textbooks or revision guides available specifically to them. You go on the IB website and when you scour for information regarding specifications or syllabuses, you just get an outline of the course as if it's some sort of advertisement, and if you're lucky the names of the main units.

I believe that if you log into the 'OCC' (Here http://occ.ibo.org/ibis/occ/guest/home.cfm) I will find what I am looking for. But I don't have access to one of these accounts - why is information regarding our subjects kept secret from us and only accessible to our teachers.

Many IB schools generously put out their resources online but again, these are specific to the school most of the time and the guides often incomplete, only slightly more detailed than the IB. I think it's ridiculous!! I feel like it's a conspiracy because it's just so stupid. The IB needs to fix up and put out some official resources for students - and I mean COMPREHENSIVE sources. How can an international qualification organisation put less effort into the propagation of their official online resources than national qualification organisations!
    I find it impossible to believe that teachers do not have access to these resources either, and go to secret underground meetings to learn the specifics of the IB syllabus for the subjects they must teach.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheaterstride)
    I find it impossible to believe that teachers do not have access to these resources either, and go to secret underground meetings to learn the specifics of the IB syllabus for the subjects they must teach.
    wow you really have nailed it. I'm starting IB this year and over the summer my English teacher gave us a reading list for us to read. One of the books is called 'IN parenthesis' by David Jones. I couldn't understand it, so I tried looking for any resources to help me analyse it. However, not only could I not find any, but I could not find the name of the book anywhere on an IB list of novels, cause I couldn't find that either

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.