Feel like a failure watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Reaver Daniels)
    I went to an awful faith school so didn't have a great start to education.

I then took AS Levels in Economics, English Lit, History and Politics. It was going really well and I was relatively on target for AAAB. However my father's cancer went terminal and unfortunately I let my emotions get the better of me. I bombed it with ACCD and my father died before I got the results. I then restated the year with an EPQ as well. I got my AS results this year and have AABB, with 93% UMS in one of the As. I'm three marks off an A in both the Bs so I'm getting the scripts back with the hopes of getting them remarked.

If they go up then I'll feel a tad better, but at the moment I feel like such a loser. Even with likely predictions for A2 of A*AA or A*A*A, as well as an A in EPQ, I feel I've majorly let myself down this year, as now my hopes of studying at Oxford seem like a shattered dream.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Don't be too hard on yourself, that's actually an incredibly tough thing for someone your age to deal with. Good luck with the remarks - hope they go up, and then.. apply to Oxford, see what happens. I'd hope that given your circumstances and good grades you could re-apply after your A2 grades. Okay, that'd be 4 years but.. if it's your dream then it's worth it.

ReputationRep:
    This might cheer you up
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Hi firstly, you should extremely proud of yourself for achieving those grades considering how tough things have been. It shows, in my opinion and I'm sure those of many others, that you are a particularly intelligent person. Wait and see what happens with the remarks, and even if they don't go up, you still have a whole year to achieve what you want to. Your dreams of Oxford are not over at all- you have time to prove yourself even more. Have you asked them whether they will consider you as having extenuating circumstances? It's worth a shot.

I know it sounds cliche, but believing in yourself really does do a world of good. You clearly have lots of resilience and intelligence, so believe in your abilities more!

Good luck with everything, and remember that you're not a failure.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.