Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Apparently it is worth 3 A levels and I'm doing it with 3 GCSEs.

What is it like?

My question is: Can you drop it after a year and will you get the equivalent to 2 A levels as it is supposed to be a 2 year course. If you do it for 2 years and pass I know you come out with the equivalent of 3 A levels.

Thanks.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by Fox Corner)
    x

ReputationRep:
    Why dont you just resit everything then go do alevels

ReputationRep:
    Btec in applied sciences is a good choice for opportunities both in terms of going to uni and getting into industry.

Best bet is to ask your college how it's structured in terms of your question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kryptonian)
    Apparently it is worth 3 A levels and I'm doing it with 3 GCSEs.

What is it like?

My question is: Can you drop it after a year and will you get the equivalent to 2 A levels as it is supposed to be a 2 year course. If you do it for 2 years and pass I know you come out with the equivalent of 3 A levels.

Thanks.
    It's equivalent to 3 A-levels on the national qualifications framework but unfortunately definitely not as valued as 3 a-levels in say Chemistry, Biology and Physics. I don't believe you can drop it after a year like that either, perhaps if you've done the modules for a diploma by then?

ReputationRep:
    With three GCSE's, A level science subjects would be a real struggle because they are so exams based. If science is your thing then a btec will be a better vehicle for you to do well with.

(Original post by Inspiringvisons)
    Why dont you just resit everything then go do alevels
    I think I might do that actually. I enrolled on the level 3 but I'll just resit my GCSEs this year that might be better for me

(Original post by beautifulbigmacs)
    Btec in applied sciences is a good choice for opportunities both in terms of going to uni and getting into industry.

Best bet is to ask your college how it's structured in terms of your question.
    Would it be better if I spent this year improving my GCSE grades and then doing A levels the year after?

(Original post by CloakedSpartan)
    It's equivalent to 3 A-levels on the national qualifications framework but unfortunately definitely not as valued as 3 a-levels in say Chemistry, Biology and Physics. I don't believe you can drop it after a year like that either, perhaps if you've done the modules for a diploma by then?
    I will spend this year resitting GCSEs and do A level route the year later then does that sound like a good plan?

With three GCSE's, A level science subjects would be a real struggle because they are so exams based. If science is your thing then a btec will be a better vehicle for you to do well with.

I did really well in my science exams though and maths .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kryptonian)
    I did really well in my science exams though and maths .
    If exams aren't your thing overall though you may be better off with a btec.

The idea that btec is inferior is predominant on this website because so many people think they'll fail at life if they don't do to a Russell Group uni but in reality this simply isn't the case. I'm in my late 20s and I've done A levels, btec, Russell Group and ex poly so I am speaking from experience. For many science courses, ex polys can be more practical which is what you want for getting into industry.

The btec course is a good opportunity and if science is what I wanted to do, I'd grab it.

ReputationRep:
    If exams aren't your thing overall though you may be better off with a btec.

The idea that btec is inferior is predominant on this website because so many people think they'll fail at life if they don't do to a Russell Group uni but in reality this simply isn't the case. I'm in my late 20s and I've done A levels, btec, Russell Group and ex poly so I am speaking from experience. For many science courses, ex polys can be more practical which is what you want for getting into industry.

The btec course is a good opportunity and if science is what I wanted to do, I'd grab it.
    Definitely depends on what you do with it. BTECs will get you somewhere but they're not ideal for people who were previously set on the usual academic route.

ReputationRep:
    Your best bet OP is to look at some university courses that interest you and see what the entry requirements are. The A level vs btec debate is never ending.

I'm training to teach in FE and I think it's a crying shame that so many feel pressured into doing A level even when they're likely to struggle immensely with it. There are lots of learners who thrive on btecs and nvqs amd get into university courses that suit their needs.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.