Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking at university currently and I have come to a point where I have to narrow my choices down. I have stumbled upon many courses that interest me, however I'm not sure whether I should be doing a 3 year or 4 year course, and which one would be better if it was 4 years (MSci or MEng). I want to do a general computer science course (i.e. no "computer science and maths" for example), with the hope of eventually going into game development. My AS results were A in maths, A in further maths and B in physics, so I'm aiming high and I'm definitely expecting high As for A2 (especially as the B was in physics and so it doesn't matter).

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    https://www.imperial.ac.uk/engineeri...rses/bsc-msci/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpaghettiGuy1337)
    I'm looking at university currently and I have come to a point where I have to narrow my choices down. I have stumbled upon many courses that interest me, however I'm not sure whether I should be doing a 3 year or 4 year course, and which one would be better if it was 4 years (MSci or MEng). I want to do a general computer science course (i.e. no "computer science and maths" for example), with the hope of eventually going into game development. My AS results were A in maths, A in further maths and B in physics, so I'm aiming high and I'm definitely expecting high As for A2 (especially as the B was in physics and so it doesn't matter).

Thanks in advance!
    I think there is little difference between an MSci and an MEng. Many universities let you switch from a 3 year course to a 4 year one if you do well in your first year (or alternatively after you get your offer/results). All will let you switch from the 4 year to the 3 year, so if the entry requirements are equal you should always apply for the 4 year (that also guarantees you will have student finance funding for the whole course).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweeneyrod)
    I think there is little difference between an MSci and an MEng. Many universities let you switch from a 3 year course to a 4 year one if you do well in your first year (or alternatively after you get your offer/results). All will let you switch from the 4 year to the 3 year, so if the entry requirements are equal you should always apply for the 4 year (that also guarantees you will have student finance funding for the whole course).
    Alright, thanks a bunch.

ReputationRep:
    It'd probably be more beneficial to spend an extra year doing an industrial placement.

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting a 4 year MSci CompSci course next year. The reason I chose it was that it gave me an extra year of experience and learning to explore what - I hope you'll agree - is a very interesting subject!
    When I went to an open day at Bristol, a student there said lots of people are getting Masters in CompSci now so it helps career-wise to do one, but I don't know how true this is.
    I guess I mainly figured that it was a year extra of work to learn some cool stuff, get another qualification and have something else to put on my CV.

ReputationRep:
    If you do the 4year, doesn't it restrict you to do the masters at that university rather than potentially switching to a more 'prestigious' one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aydin7)
    If you do the 4year, doesn't it restrict you to do the masters at that university rather than potentially switching to a more 'prestigious' one?
    Well you could just start at the 'prestigious' one. More importantly, you get to stay funded under student finance which is why I'm doing a 4 year CS degree. Plus the 4th year modules look really interesting, and I'd be very dissatisfied with the level of depth from a 3 year.

ReputationRep:
    Great, thanks guys. That's some very useful stuff. I'm most likely going to try for a 4 year one, as the industrial placement as well as the extra material could prove to be very useful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aydin7)
    That's why I opted for 4 year industry programme. I could easily use my BSc to put a top name on my cv through a seperate MSc. For me, the need to self fund is well worth the chance of putting a top 3 name on my cv.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.