Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey there.

I would like to ask current students that are studying in University about laundry. So, I searched for the information and cost of washing and dryer of my university and found out that one cycle of washing costs £2.70, whilst one cycle of tumble drying costs £1.30. Apparently, this is quite expensive for me, considering I am an international student who has no experience about laundry facilities in the UK. Therefore, do you have any tips on doing laundry in university or do you think that the cost charged is worth it? Additionally, is it possible to air dry clothes in halls?

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ishb_)
    Hey there.

I would like to ask current students that are studying in University about laundry. So, I searched for the information and cost of washing and dryer of my university and found out that one cycle of washing costs £2.70, whilst one cycle of tumble drying costs £1.30. Apparently, this is quite expensive for me, considering I am an international student who has no experience about laundry facilities in the UK. Therefore, do you have any tips on doing laundry in university or do you think that the cost charged is worth it? Additionally, is it possible to air dry clothes in halls?

Thanks in advance.
    That sounds standard to me. The laundry facilities in halls tend to be industrial sized so you can fit a lot in. Yes you can air dry clothes in halls, you need a clothes horse, but make sure to keep the room well aired whilst the clothes are drying to avoid mould and condensation.

ReputationRep:
    Obvious point about coin or credit operated launderette machines... as mentioned above they're bigger than home washing machines so it makes sense to wash your stuff in great big loads i.e. bin bag full - don't be nipping down every day to keep washing out your lucky underpants.

if they have a separate high speed spinner use it between washing and tumble dryers - it'll get rid of a lot of water really quickly and cheaply.

don't try cheating the dryers by putting several peoples washing in the one machine - they don't dry anything if the clothes are packed too tightly..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    That sounds standard to me. The laundry facilities in halls tend to be industrial sized so you can fit a lot in. Yes you can air dry clothes in halls, you need a clothes horse, but make sure to keep the room well aired whilst the clothes are drying to avoid mould and condensation.
    Ahh, right. Thank you very much for the information.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    Obvious point about coin or credit operated launderette machines... as mentioned above they're bigger than home washing machines so it makes sense to wash your stuff in great big loads i.e. bin bag full - don't be nipping down every day to keep washing out your lucky underpants.

if they have a separate high speed spinner use it between washing and tumble dryers - it'll get rid of a lot of water really quickly and cheaply.

don't try cheating the dryers by putting several peoples washing in the one machine - they don't dry anything if the clothes are packed too tightly..
    Alright, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    My uni accommodation in first year had the exact same prices, but the machines never gave change back. So if I didn't have the exact change I was always over charged. Stupid system but that's how they make money I guess.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    yeah, it's a lot for a wash but it's pretty normal... you can get away with washing very infrequently though as they're big

I always dried clothes in my room

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that seems like a fairly standard price, mine was £2.80 for a wash and £3.50 for a dry. They were large like mentioned in previous posts, so I used to get away with doing a wash a week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ishb_)
    Hey there.

Thanks in advance.
    If you want to make it cheaper, you can hand wash things small things which you use frequently and wash the big things in washing machines which you don't use as much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josh_MG)
    My uni accommodation in first year had the exact same prices, but the machines never gave change back. So if I didn't have the exact change I was always over charged. Stupid system but that's how they make money I guess.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, I should start to prepare small changes from now on. Probably i'd say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodle_333)
    yeah, it's a lot for a wash but it's pretty normal... you can get away with washing very infrequently though as they're big

I always dried clothes in my room
    Yeah. I should start scheduling my laundry. Anyway, this is a stupid question really, but do you seperate clothes when washing, such as from its colour or materials?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WilliamsQI)
    Yeah that seems like a fairly standard price, mine was £2.80 for a wash and £3.50 for a dry. They were large like mentioned in previous posts, so I used to get away with doing a wash a week.
    Wow, £ 3.50 is quite expensive for a dry. However, I think it is true considering that the machines are large.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bloom77)
    If you want to make it cheaper, you can hand wash things small things which you use frequently and wash the big things in washing machines which you don't use as much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah, right. Thanks for the tips!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ishb_)
    Yeah. I should start scheduling my laundry. Anyway, this is a stupid question really, but do you seperate clothes when washing, such as from its colour or materials?
    up to you... you should really separate colours/darks/whites but it depends if you have enough of each type to do that and not waste money

I never had anything white I cared about being less white (i.e. only some t shirts which I wore under things) so washed everything together on the lowest temp setting

occasionally if I had more laundry I would split into dark/light stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ishb_)
    Wow, £ 3.50 is quite expensive for a dry. However, I think it is true considering that the machines are large.
    True - maybe it's just an estimate because some fabrics hold more water than others.
    afaik usually you feed the dryers money until you think your clothes are dry enough...but the washing machine is a fixed price.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodle_333)
    up to you... you should really separate colours/darks/whites but it depends if you have enough of each type to do that and not waste money

I never had anything white I cared about being less white (i.e. only some t shirts which I wore under things) so washed everything together on the lowest temp setting

occasionally if I had more laundry I would split into dark/light stuff
    Great. I'll keep this in mind. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    True - maybe it's just an estimate because some fabrics hold more water than others.
    afaik usually you feed the dryers money until you think your clothes are dry enough...but the washing machine is a fixed price.
    Oh, right. I'm not aware that I should feed the dryer to dry the clothes. Nice information though, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    You could always do the ol' string on the coin!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.