Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    gonna do a degree of course but was wondering what you then do after that

How do you then go about getting a job? Can you get a job and do the tasks the company wants you to do straight away or do you need to train again? Also can you get jobs in the US etc with a UK degree?

ReputationRep:
    What branch of Engineering are you interested in, I'm hoping to study Civil.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glib)
    What branch of Engineering are you interested in, I'm hoping to study Civil.
    mechanical I think
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metrize)
    How do you then go about getting a job?
    Mainly by applying for them, but if you're good at both engineering and networking then you may be "recommended" occasionally.

Can you get a job and do the tasks the company wants you to do straight away or do you need to train again?
    You're generally given fairly basic tasks to start with and you learn as you go along, leading to performing more advanced tasks, promotions, etc. But once you've got your degree that's generally the end of your formal academic training. At that point, on the job learning becomes more important.

Also can you get jobs in the US etc with a UK degree?
    I think it's pretty hard to emigrate to the US.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metrize)
    Also can you get jobs in the US etc with a UK degree?
    Sure, you can get a job offer (getting noticed enough for even an interview though, outside of immigrant friendly companies is tough) but good luck getting a work visa - there's a 33% chance. Better way to this is work for a company with offices here and in the US for at least a year, then look for overseas opportunities within the company.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.