Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    So basically I did my geography gcse in year 9 and came out with a B. I wanted to get a better grade, so I retook all modules ( that was the only option) in year 10 and obtained a new certificate with an A* grade. Would I need to declare this on my application? Thanks in advance guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherry555)
    Hi guys,
    So basically I did my geography gcse in year 9 and came out with a B. I wanted to get a better grade, so I retook all modules ( that was the only option) in year 10 and obtained a new certificate with an A* grade. Would I need to declare this on my application? Thanks in advance guys
    Yes, all grades must be declared, but they will see from the dates that you were only in year 9 and understand the situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    Yes, all grades must be declared, but they will see from the dates that you were only in year 9 and understand the situation.
    I'm aware that universities do not like retakes if you are applying for medicine. Will this retake have a major impact on whether or not they will consider me for an interview?

ReputationRep:
    I'm aware that universities do not like retakes if you are applying for medicine. Will this retake have a major impact on whether or not they will consider me for an interview?
    I would very much doubt it, tbh. When they see that a kid was put in for a GCSE at the age of 14, they will know that it wasn't likely to be something under that kid's control. However, why not contact a university you are interested in and ask them?

ReputationRep:
    I would very much doubt it, tbh. When they see that a kid was put in for a GCSE at the age of 14, they will know that it wasn't likely to be something under that kid's control. However, why not contact a university you are interested in and ask them?
    Thanks I will call them up and ask directly- I do hope it doesn't have much of an impact as I was only 13 and I guess I didn't know what I was getting myself into :/

ReputationRep:
    As above, contact the Uni to double check but I don't think it would be considered as a normal retake.

It's usually retakes 'after' that are frowned upon. So retakes of GCSE's after the standard GCSE years Y10/Y11. Subjects taken early and resat shouldn't be too much of a problem, especially not Geography :P

ReputationRep:
    Thanks I will call them up and ask directly- I do hope it doesn't have much of an impact as I was only 13 and I guess I didn't know what I was getting myself into :/
    They will know that. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayAhm)
    As above, contact the Uni to double check but I don't think it would be considered as a normal retake.

It's usually retakes 'after' that are frowned upon. So retakes of GCSE's after the standard GCSE years Y10/Y11. Subjects taken early and resat shouldn't be too much of a problem, especially not Geography :P
    Thanks for the advice

ReputationRep:
    They will know that. Good luck.
    Thanks for the advice

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.