Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone!

I'm starting this year at Imperial, and they require a computer for the course. They sent out the specs today. I'm wondering if I should just get the computer via Imperial and pay the deposit.

What have you done? Have you all rented Imperial laptops or have you bought your own?

Any replies appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    I will be applying to Imperial this year for CompSci. I would recommend getting a mac book air.

TRUST me when I say this: they will last the whole of your course and 2 more years. Plus they look sick.

The reason I would advise against the Imperial laptops is because of the fact it's not completely personal.
    How much is it coming out to be across your 4 years?

ReputationRep:
    What were the specs they sent you btw, out of curiosity

ReputationRep:
    They want Windows 10, 256Gb HDD/SSD, 8Gb RAM, i5/i7 5th Gen processor - none of which is a problem. Then they also state an NVIDIA Quadro K1100M graphics card, which pushes the price up A LOT (well over £1000). (You need the graphics card for CAD and similar programs.)

The deposit is £100 and refundable at the end of the four years, so I think I'm going to take them up on it.

student143 ArafatQ

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by veni_vidi_vasi)
    They want Windows 10, 256Gb HDD/SSD, 8Gb RAM, i5/i7 5th Gen processor - none of which is a problem. Then they also state an NVIDIA Quadro K1100M graphics card, which pushes the price up A LOT (well over £1000). (You need the graphics card for CAD and similar programs.)

The deposit is £100 and refundable at the end of the four years, so I think I'm going to take them up on it.

student143 ArafatQ
    Have you considered getting a laptop with a gtx 950m/960m/970m? Which can be easily had sub £1000.
    I personally am going to do mechanical engineering in September and will be bringing my laptop that has a 950m which I guess should suffice for cad/cam work

ReputationRep:

student143 ArafatQ
    Well, macs don't have a dedicated graphics card so perhaps, I need to get a new laptop too lol.

You could also look online to see if there are any deals, you may be able to find a laptop of the same specs for a cheaper price.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArafatQ)
    Well, macs don't have a dedicated graphics card so perhaps, I need to get a new laptop too lol.

You could also look online to see if there are any deals, you may be able to find a laptop of the same specs for a cheaper price.
    Top end macs have good gpu's. But yeah just take one of theirs for £100 deposit that seems sensible and a win-win situation to me.. They're hardly gonna advise specs then hand you a laptop that can't suit those.

ReputationRep:
    I was speaking to a guy at Dell and apparently GTX and the Ge-Force range aren't so good at "engineering applications" as Quadro... I'm not so good with comparing computer specs so I think I'll trust him on this one!

I'm going to email the admissions tutor now to ask for one of the deposit computers. As Rabadon said, they'll definitely be right for the course!

ArafatQ student143

ReputationRep:
    I was speaking to a guy at Dell and apparently GTX and the Ge-Force range aren't so good at "engineering applications" as Quadro... I'm not so good with comparing computer specs so I think I'll trust him on this one!

I'm going to email the admissions tutor now to ask for one of the deposit computers. As Rabadon said, they'll definitely be right for the course!

ArafatQ student143
    Lol yeah, I guess it's best to go with Imperial they seem like they know their stuff.

Also good luck with freshers, I'll be in your position next year

ReputationRep:
    Lol yeah, I guess it's best to go with Imperial they seem like they know their stuff.

Also good luck with freshers, I'll be in your position next year
    Probably Maybe I'll see you around next year! Do you know where you're applying?

ReputationRep:
    Probably Maybe I'll see you around next year! Do you know where you're applying?
    I would like to get into Cambridge but of course, that's hard so I am most likely to end up at Imperial since it's my second choice - where did you choose for your accommodation?

ReputationRep:
    I would like to get into Cambridge but of course, that's hard so I am most likely to end up at Imperial since it's my second choice - where did you choose for your accommodation?
    I'll tell you tomorrow - I find out then!

I put down The Costume Store, Woodward, Wilson, Xenia and Parsons. Hope I get one of those (fingers crossed )

Good luck with Cambridge... Out of curiosity, why Cambridge? (other than the reputation etc.)

ReputationRep:
    I'll tell you tomorrow - I find out then!

I put down The Costume Store, Woodward, Wilson, Xenia and Parsons. Hope I get one of those (fingers crossed )

Good luck with Cambridge... Out of curiosity, why Cambridge? (other than the reputation etc.)
    All these names sound so exotic lol, just by name Xenia sounds the coolest.

And Cambridge has a very theoretical course, don't get me wrong, programming based courses are good but I wanted to focus on the theory behind computers. Also they do supervisions - this I NEED because I tend to slack xD.

Not to forget the beautiful city and formals but I guess Imperial is great because it's in London - Very subjective tbh

ReputationRep:
    got a inspiron 15......

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.