Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hoping to start uni sept 2017, so doing visits at the moment. I can do a bit of cooking but think going for catered may be better as it's one less thing to worry about in my first year. Also I'm quite shy and wondering how it would work in self catering 5 total strangers sharing one kitchen - and all trying to prepare different meals at similar times? Can someone tell me how self catering works in the first few weeks when you don't really know each other yet? Does anyone in catered accommodation find the set meal times too restrictive and regret their choice? Thanks!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Chrissy12)
    Hoping to start uni sept 2017, so doing visits at the moment. I can do a bit of cooking but think going for catered may be better as it's one less thing to worry about in my first year. Also I'm quite shy and wondering how it would work in self catering 5 total strangers sharing one kitchen - and all trying to prepare different meals at similar times? Can someone tell me how self catering works in the first few weeks when you don't really know each other yet? Does anyone in catered accommodation find the set meal times too restrictive and regret their choice? Thanks!
    So I was self catered, not really knowing how to cook (you still have time to learn now though...) and had to share one kitchen with 10 other people. The first week was the most chaotic as it was Freshers and no one really did anything during the day, apart from be in a room or hang out in the kitchen, and we were all trying to figure it out and cooking seemingly at the same time (it was as bad as maybe 6 people cooking at once)

But after a while you should collectively realise that people cook around a certain time so kind of cook earlier or later just to make it less congested.

You'd have to look at how much extra catering costs and whether it'd be significantly cheaper to make your own things, then if so you should probably do that.. and you can afford to have takeaways once every often :ll:

ReputationRep:
    It is one of the great tragedies of this country that so few people know how to cook proper food. The preparation of good food amongst familiar faces is a wonderful thing. I used to share a flat with 8 others and a tiny kitchen. It worked fine. Indeed, tea time was the social time of the day. Sure, eating out every night saves the bother of cooking but cooking is a life skill. You are going to have to do it in one form or other sooner or later.

ReputationRep:
    I lived in self catered but barely anyone cooked. It was mostly microwave or oven meals. If someone is cooking and you need to use it too you just adjust, wait for them to be done then cook what you wanted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrissy12)
    I never lived with more than 5 people so you can have busier kitchens but trying to cook at the same time was never a big issue. Occasionally you'd go in and someone would be cooking but then you either cook around them if there's space (if you've got 4 hobs you can do a frying pan + saucepan each at the same time fine, and there will be plenty of counter space) or just come back in half an hour when they're done. People tend to hold random hours while they're at uni and be quite busy so you'll find people are often out over meal times or were up early/late so eating at unusual times. Lots of people will have ready meals or be reheating a large batch of something they made - both of which take up nearly no space. You just make sure you're polite and communicate e.g. you go in and the oven is being used say 'could you knock on room 5 quickly when you're done' or you hang around and have a chat until they're finished.

Actually if you're shy having a shared kitchen can be a good thing as you've got somewhere to meet people which is small and not too intimidating, you can have a small conversation/ask them what they're cooking etc and then go back to your room if you feel uncomfortable so it forces you to meet people without being stuck there for 2 hours.

I never lived in catered accommodation but at my uni people weren't keen on it. You always get people who hate cooking and so like being catered but generally complaints were about rubbish food, lack of choice, if you miss a meal you've wasted money and have to buy something expensive as you can't cook, breakfast is earlier than many people get up, sometimes you'll have a lecture that runs over the whole lunch session and miss that etc.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help everyone!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.