The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Is Southampton boring?

I am from Brighton and have an offer to study at university of Southampton but am really worried I will find it much more boring than Brighton, it doesn't seem to offer as much and so would if be better to a bigger city that is similar to Brighton in terms of variety? i.e Nottingham/Cardiff
Southampton has the best nightclubs on the South Coast, bar Brighton I'd argue so don't worry about that kind of thing. (including Oceana which is one of the largest in Europe).

West Quay is a huge shopping centre which has everything you could want in the city centre, and you have Portswood high street when you move out of halls in 2nd & 3rd year which has a good selection of shops too & a large sainsburys.
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
don't
Mm it depends on your experiences; it's probably better than Exeter, but most likely worse than Brighton.

Just go to Jesters and you won't remember anything anyway. And you'll ruin your shoes.

That said if the metric by which you're choosing universities is the night life, might I suggest you take a gap year and spend some time working to get some perspective?
Original post by 13051997
I am from Brighton and have an offer to study at university of Southampton but am really worried I will find it much more boring than Brighton, it doesn't seem to offer as much and so would if be better to a bigger city that is similar to Brighton in terms of variety? i.e Nottingham/Cardiff

I currently go to uni in Southampton and yes its boring! I'm from London and very used to variety. There isn't that much to do. Nottingham and Cardiff definitely have more variety. People from small towns I've met here think Southampton is great but I personally hate it and have got bored of it.
Original post by Angel.keene
I currently go to uni in Southampton and yes its boring! I'm from London and very used to variety. There isn't that much to do. Nottingham and Cardiff definitely have more variety. People from small towns I've met here think Southampton is great but I personally hate it and have got bored of it.

Do you mean night life, there arent a lot of options, or there just aren't many activities to do in general, like going out for meals and stuff?
Original post by bex.anne
Do you mean nightlife, there arent a lot of options, or there just aren't many activities to do in general, like going out for meals and stuff?

Nightlife is very limited. I could probably count the clubs on my hand lol. Quite a few closed down over the years. There are some pubs but again not that many. There are also some nice resturaunts, two cinemas, a theatre etc but yeah in comparison to London I find it very crap here lool. Kinda regret coming here, plus the city just looks abit depressing/lifeless lol. It helps if you find the right group of friends if you dont like the area, but that really isn't guaranteed if I'm gonna be honest. You should prioritise your course though :smile:. Look at the course units, unistats etc. Its better to be in a course that you love/is the best course, than be in an area you love but on a terrible course. Those uni's you chose are good anyway so it shouldnt be too tough to decide haha.
(edited 7 years ago)
I lived in Southampton for 3 years and I really dont miss the place at all
From Brighton and live in Soton.

As others say prioritise your education first. City second.

I like it here. Good shopping, and IKEA which is fun lets face it, and 5 cinemas (not 2 like someone else has said). Night life is good and there are some lovely new bars and restaurants and some good clubs. It's not as cool as Brighton but I don't know of anywhere that is!

Southampton is also only an hour and a half from Brighton and London for more adventurous nights out.

It is what you make it tbh and you won't have to stay forever. Make some good friends and it will be as good as anywhere.
Reply 9
If you like clubbing you'll be alright, seeing as that's all people seem to want to do. Also not being from London will make it more bearable
Original post by Angel.keene

Do the societies make up for it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending