Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm so stuck. I wasn't intending to go to university..everything had gone wrong at home, and I really thought I was going to mess my grades up. Somehow I didn't, and I'm so elated. Now I would love to go and have been told I can have a place on either one of my top three course choices : international relations, law and politics.
    The problem is, I want to do them all equally.
    Could anyone, please, who has any experience with these courses or who is intending to/or is currently studying them advise me at all about them, so I can make a more informed decision?

Thank you so much, in advance

ReputationRep:
    no place for any combined course?

ReputationRep:
    Politics & IR you can often do as a dual degree.

Law is alright but you have to REALLY like law to find it at all interesting. If you plan to be a lawyer you still just do a conversion course after uni.

Personally I would choose P&IR bc I find it personally a lot more interesting as it is so broad a choice, it incorporates two of the three subjects there, and the workload isn't awful. The grade requirements for this are normally lower too, so you can apply to better unis. But that's just my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Depends if you'd rather have a good time at uni or you're looking for a better life after uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by popbop321)
    I'm so stuck. I wasn't intending to go to university..everything had gone wrong at home, and I really thought I was going to mess my grades up. Somehow I didn't, and I'm so elated. Now I would love to go and have been told I can have a place on either one of my top three course choices : international relations, law and politics.
    The problem is, I want to do them all equally.
    Could anyone, please, who has any experience with these courses or who is intending to/or is currently studying them advise me at all about them, so I can make a more informed decision?

Thank you so much, in advance
    I studied International Relations at university and I really enjoyed it- obviously at each university it varies a bit, but I had the opportunity to study very topical issues like Britiains relationship with the EU, Religious Fundamentalism and examine other international organisations like the UN, NATO, WTO e.c.t in more detail as well as looking at more historical international relations during the cold war and even further back. I could have taken modules covering national politics in the UK and US had I wanted to.

However to make the most of an IR or Politics degree, as with any arts & humanities degree, you do need to work out fairly soon into it what you want to do post uni so you can begin acquiring experience. You also need to be able to put together a strong job application, however this applies to any discipline including law.

With law, if you are sure you want to practice law in some capacity, say as a lawyer or a barrister, then that is one less worry, but it is a very competitive process getting a job afterwards, again you need work experience and a strong application.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 9, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.