Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

To give a TLR of the last 3 months for me; I sat my A-Levels, I was sure I failed them, when they were over I was kind of depressed and absolutely fed up with life, so I kind of forgot about it all. Results day came and I somehow pulled out good grades, now I have a place to study Physics at Warwick and I feel woefully unprepared for it all.

So to get down to business; what reading and studying should I be doing to get myself off to a (at least semi-)decent start? What books are worthwhile that I can plausibly read and absorb in a month? I have heard that there is a "test" shortly after beginning the course to assess knowledge, what sort of thing should I expect (examples would be good)? What materials will I need before starting (thinking any important study material, or calculator(s) or other equipment)?

I'm quite surprised that I haven't received any information on the final point, but maybe they just haven't sent it yet, as my course starts quite late.

Sorry if this is considered the wrong place, if it is then please moderator move it. Obviously I made my account today primarily for this purpose.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blackfyre585366)
    Hi,

To give a TLR of the last 3 months for me; I sat my A-Levels, I was sure I failed them, when they were over I was kind of depressed and absolutely fed up with life, so I kind of forgot about it all. Results day came and I somehow pulled out good grades, now I have a place to study Physics at Warwick and I feel woefully unprepared for it all.

So to get down to business; what reading and studying should I be doing to get myself off to a (at least semi-)decent start? What books are worthwhile that I can plausibly read and absorb in a month? I have heard that there is a "test" shortly after beginning the course to assess knowledge, what sort of thing should I expect (examples would be good)? What materials will I need before starting (thinking any important study material, or calculator(s) or other equipment)?

I'm quite surprised that I haven't received any information on the final point, but maybe they just haven't sent it yet, as my course starts quite late.

Sorry if this is considered the wrong place, if it is then please moderator move it. Obviously I made my account today primarily for this purpose.

Thanks
    The module descriptions including recommended reading are on the website, probably looking at something from the first term as well as familiarising yourself with the assessment methods and timing.

Couldn't see any recommended calculator for physics though I see students on MMORSE are recommended Casio fx83/85... so probably the calculator you had for your A levels will be fine (and if not you can always buy one when you get there.)

you could always ask on the warwick forum or send the department an email

ReputationRep:
    You should have

- a pen
    - a pad of paper
    - a good filing system (not mandatory)
    - a calculator
    - a ruler
    - a good understanding of A-level physics and mathematics
    - a good work ethic

Basically, go to the stationary shop, do some light revision of maths A-level, and prepare yourself to work hard in response to new challenges.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blackfyre585366)
    Hi,

Thanks
    Do you know what physics/maths courses you'll need to take in first year?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.