The Student Room Group

The Arsenal Thread XXV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MrChill
I am an Arsenal fan. It isn't trendy to follow Arsenal these days because of our poor results lately- so you will only see the hardcore supporters.

If there is another Arsenal fan on TSR, please head over to FA cup thread and vote for Arsenal, as we are being crushed by Chelsea and United votes lol

can you link the thread?
Original post by rxyaltyx
can you link the thread?

My bad. Should have included a link with my orignal post. Click on the below link:

FA cup poll
Original post by MrChill
My bad. Should have included a link with my orignal post. Click on the below link:

FA cup poll

thank you
Original post by bj27
loool 5 years ago this would never happen.

ikr. In a way it's good because we now know who the glory hunters were amongst our support base. If Arteta is any good, any decline in other clubs will make us popular again.
Just to prevent I get it wrong: Arsenal have to win the FA Cup final to be qualified for Europa League?
Original post by Kallisto
Just to prevent I get it wrong: Arsenal have to win the FA Cup final to be qualified for Europa League?

Correct
Original post by Zerforax
Correct

From that view thhe FC Cup is both, the chance to bring an average season to a good end and to be in an international competition next season.
Original post by Kallisto

Correct

They are playing well so far.
Congrats, see you in the Community Shield.
That is what Arsenal calls a happy end: won the FA Cup and in international competition next season.

Congratulations to the victory! :king1::arsenal:
It's a bit of an odd one how time changes perceptions. If you go back say 30-40+ years, then winning 4 FA Cups in 7 years would've been seen as a huge achievement.
Europa League here we come
It's a bit of an odd one how time changes perceptions. If you go back say 30-40+ years, then winning 4 FA Cups in 7 years would've been seen as a huge achievement.

Sadly the FA Cup has lost its value, and indeed the early rounds and teams who reach the third round for the first time in many years is almost regarded as more of a news story. I blame the format of the Champions League and the fielding of understrength teams (Sam Allerdyce was one of the culprits) as contributors. Arsenal and Manchester City have valued the Cup, as have Chelsea, and so their recent successes are well deserved.

I would give the FA Cup winners one of the Champions League places and only the top 3 in the Premier League the others.
Impressive how you pull it out of the bag time after time. You've shown the competition the respect it deserves and we'd do well to emulate that.
Original post by barnetlad
Sadly the FA Cup has lost its value, and indeed the early rounds and teams who reach the third round for the first time in many years is almost regarded as more of a news story. I blame the format of the Champions League and the fielding of understrength teams (Sam Allerdyce was one of the culprits) as contributors. Arsenal and Manchester City have valued the Cup, as have Chelsea, and so their recent successes are well deserved.

I would give the FA Cup winners one of the Champions League places and only the top 3 in the Premier League the others.

I think there are a mix of reasons:

- historically there was a big mix of teams that could win it. Whereas now it tends to be the few big teams most years
- you would only get one or two English sides qualify for Europe, whereas now it is 4 clubs
- significantly more money for CL/League success/not being relegated
- the top sides may play 2nd string sides, but so do teams fighting for relegation. They would rather do without FA Cup distractions, and get an extra point or more from league games- which can be enough to keep you up/be relegated
Fixtures_1920x1080_3.jpg

So the first FA cup winner of this decade starts title challenge at Fulham. I know I I am a nutter for saying this lol 😆😆😆

Whatever happens I will be proud of our boys. COYG.
Reply 7956
Original post by barnetlad

That would help somewhat but tbh when was the last time a non top 6 club won the FA cup?

There was Wigan in 2013 but since then it's literally been Arsenal, United, City or Chelsea.

What will happen is that Chelsea and co will just use their best team early on which would lead to more congestion with players playing extra fixtures and hamper their chances in the CL. It would be a good idea if this happened across the board, i.e. in Germany, Italy, France, Spain the same situation arose. It would be a clearly unfair advantage in Europe.
Original post by rockrunride
Impressive how you pull it out of the bag time after time. You've shown the competition the respect it deserves and we'd do well to emulate that.

Unfortunately the competition has not run with the times so its not a matter of giving it the respect it deserves, its a matter of providing incentive for teams to go for it at the expense of other competitions that are far more rewarding at the moment. Heck teams would rather win the Europa League than the FA cup now given the former gives you CL qualification so it is taken more seriously now.
Original post by samir12
Unfortunately the competition has not run with the times so its not a matter of giving it the respect it deserves, its a matter of providing incentive for teams to go for it at the expense of other competitions that are far more rewarding at the moment. Heck teams would rather win the Europa League than the FA cup now given the former gives you CL qualification so it is taken more seriously now.

Very true. I wouldn't necessarily be against a CL berth being given to the FA Cup winners at the expense of PL 4th place & I say that as a supporter of a team that has come 4th more than once in the last few years.
The lack of comment since yesterday show how little the Community Shield is valued. I think it should have been cancelled this year given no audience, as the only reason for it is for fans to see their team at Wembley. Not as bad as the Checkatrade Trophy (or whatever it will be called now) but not far off.

Quick Reply

Latest