Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi,
    so ive wanted to be a vet ever since i can remember but due to problems at home i achieved pretty bad GCSE results which resulted in me not being able to take biology or chemistry at A-level. I thought i had ruined my life and just chose any A-levels, psychology, sociology and English. Since i got my results i have been looking around and i found a veterinary nursing course which i could of applied for, but this got me thinking, i still really want to be a vet, and now i have chosen to go back to college to study a BTEC Applied Science and A-Level Chemistry as an online A-Level. Both of these fill the requirements to get on to the veterinary science and veterinary medicine and surgery degree. However after looking absolutely everywhere it has become apparent that they all require GCSE Biology,Chemistry,Mathematics, English and Physics, mostly grade A, some grade B. I DO NOT HAVE THESE GRADES will this mean i cannot get to my dream career because of my GCSE's? Will the fact i have other A-Levels and i went back to college help? Please Help im worried my past has ruined my future no matter how hard i try.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I'd advise against applying if you don't yet have the GCSE grades required. It may seem really petty of the universities to be so strict even after you've achieved other qualifications but unfortunately they're looking for any reason to narrow the applicant pool and I've heard of people being rejected for their GCSEs even after getting a degree.

You can absolutely still be a vet, however! It will just mean retaking your GCSEs. That may take a year a two, but if this is really what you want to do then go for it, you still certainly won't be the oldest person to have started vet school

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Laauurreenn)
    hi,
    so ive wanted to be a vet ever since i can remember but due to problems at home i achieved pretty bad GCSE results which resulted in me not being able to take biology or chemistry at A-level. I thought i had ruined my life and just chose any A-levels, psychology, sociology and English. Since i got my results i have been looking around and i found a veterinary nursing course which i could of applied for, but this got me thinking, i still really want to be a vet, and now i have chosen to go back to college to study a BTEC Applied Science and A-Level Chemistry as an online A-Level. Both of these fill the requirements to get on to the veterinary science and veterinary medicine and surgery degree. However after looking absolutely everywhere it has become apparent that they all require GCSE Biology,Chemistry,Mathematics, English and Physics, mostly grade A, some grade B. I DO NOT HAVE THESE GRADES will this mean i cannot get to my dream career because of my GCSE's? Will the fact i have other A-Levels and i went back to college help? Please Help im worried my past has ruined my future no matter how hard i try.
    As LTC has said - I'd also advise against applying at this stage. I was told by Surrey and Nottingham that without the GCSEs they wouldn't look at me at all, and this was WITH a degree as well (I was one A off the 5 A's they required at GCSEs at the time and I had extenuating circumstances and a doctors letter) It's not the end of the road for you but you will have to re-do your GCSEs to get the results they require. Once you've got the GCSEs you'll be fine to apply.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 3, 2016
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.