Jewellery website Watch

CheekyChops_lala
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
I'm thinking of starting up a handmade jewellery website, possibly made to order?? I can make the jewellery myself but the problem is I'm not the most creative.

Would you guys please post some pictures of jewellery you would consider buying, ( so I can have a look at how I could adapt it rather than copy of course!) also how much you would consider paying for jewellery and what kind of things you would like to see on a jewellery website.

I'm planning on student friendly prices, possibly some altered versions of catwalk styles, but more day to day wearable.

Do you think it's a good idea? Can you think of any websites that are similar?
Or any other relevant ideas that may help me?

Sorry for the jumbled post, just all my ideas coming out at once!! xx
campbell87
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I havnt got ne ideas yet but definatly go for the cat-walk inspired stuff, buy a couple of magazines, cosmo and the like and see what you can pick up there, make yourself a scrap book and work from that.
Have you tried selling any of your stuff on ebay?
malibulucy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i personally like the layered things like the necklaces- i like them to fit quite high up but then also like to have one layer that is longer that hits the top of whatever top im wearing.
Also in general i like the shorter neclaces- no chokers but i hate how i always find nice necklaces and they fall to mid chest it just looks and feels odd on me!
I dont have any specific pics but yes id say go for it- you need to make sure there is a market for it tho as i used to make hemp jewellry and then tried to sell it only to find that for some reason whilst ppl are happy to pay 4/5 euros for one in some tacky holiday shop no one wanted to buy ones custom made?!
good luck xx
CheekyChops_lala
Rep:
?
How about brooches? Is anyone out there a fan? Personally I love them, they can totally change a plain outfit!!! I'm going to start the scrapbook idea because hopefully it might encourage some creativity!! xx
Zebrastripes
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
What sort of materials are you using? A friend of mines makes jewellery, but he melts metal and does wonderfult things with it. This website has some great jewellery in my opinion: www.allthatglitters.co.uk
pepilachat
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i made some jewellery for a project once. Its not perfect but if you are interested at all or want any ideas i can send you the photos (but you'll have to talk me through it as i have never done that before)
HANNAH1987
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Well... personally i like more costume jewellery than classic stuff, probably because im young. But... I love it so much! And your website would be fantastic. I was searching for something like that a wee while ago and couldnt find anything. I like the idea of none mass produced jewellery.

I found this website a few weeks ago, and i LOVE it, not sure whether a lot of people have heard of it. I love the charm necklaces and charm bracelets, especially the ones with little clocks on and the alice in wonderland charm necklaces, so cute!

Hope this helps, and if you get it up and running, let me kno!!! xxxx
HANNAH1987
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
ooooops dosey me i forgot the link:

http://www.hannahzakari.co.uk/jewellery/all/

there tiz
Empyreal Rhapsody
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
This is weird. Last night I was searching for hours in vain for a company/person who could make jewellery. Can you make earrings? Well, studs. And can you make them in different shapes?
CheekyChops_lala
Rep:
?
Both of the websites are cool. Unfortunately I can't do the whole melting stuff. theres a lot of stuff that have given me some ideas on both of them.
I've also come across some stuff I'd like to buy for myself!!

Would you prefer like a website with a few designs for each type of item (ie. bracelets,necklaces,brooches) and then they can be made to order in the prefered colour way.

OR

Should I make a few items and put them up so that there are literally one of a kind? and do made to order items as well?

xx
HANNAH1987
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'd personally prefer a site with individual designs, thats the thing for me, id rather pay a lot more for an individual piece than mass produced stuff. but im not sure about others! x
Empyreal Rhapsody
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've been searching all over for an ear stud in the shape of the Red Star, but have had no success. Would it be possible for you to make something like this?
Ten Green Bottles
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Have a look in Accessorize, I love their jewellery. And just see if you can come up with something a little different. I buy a lot of jewellery from independant designers, and the pieces are usually cheaper and better quality than those from the large brands. So I say go for it.
abc101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I think it sounds like a great idea!

Personally I wear a lot of Pilgrim jewellery - it tends to be quite big, statement jewellery in bright colours, but it's done in such a way that it looks classy and intricate. At the mo I'm wearing a necklace which has two layers - I can't find a picture of it but if you look on the Pilgrim website I'm sure you'll find something like it.

Made to order would be very good, because unique jewellery would be a good selling point, but I think you should also have several of the same designs so if people like something they can just buy it straight away.

Good luck with it!
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (161)
18.44%
No (530)
60.71%
Not really bothered about them (182)
20.85%

Watched Threads