Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm obsessed with it as it's a game I played throughout my childhood. I love the atmosphere, the humour, the characters, the concept and the music. Everything about it is just wonderful and nostalgic.

Any other fans on TSR?

ReputationRep:
    I played it when it dropped on PS PLUS. Very difficult though had to use a guide lol. How could someone play it when it came out ?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kazuhira)
    I played it when it dropped on PS PLUS. Very difficult though had to use a guide lol. How could someone play it when it came out ?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha I was a kid when I played it on Windows 95 and I just tried every single item with every single character etc. After playing it millions of times I know most of the combinations and puzzles now! :P

ReputationRep:
    Are you... well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozzyoscy)
    Are you... well?
    Not picking that up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PandaCalavera)
    Not picking that up.
    That... those aren't words that are related to what you're replying to... erm...

ReputationRep:
    That... those aren't words that are related to what you're replying to... erm...
    You know I knew somehow that your were quoting the game but I cannot remember which part and it really bugged me. When I googled it I couldn't find anything so I was like "is this person really quoting it or ARE THEY QUESTIONING MY CHOICE OF GAME?"
    So I replied with Manny.

I. I can't. I have no excuse. I'm sorry.

Please put me out of my misery and tell me which part this is haha. I had a feeling it's Celso but I don't know haha.

ReputationRep:
    You know I knew somehow that your were quoting the game but I cannot remember which part and it really bugged me. When I googled it I couldn't find anything so I was like "is this person really quoting it or ARE THEY QUESTIONING MY CHOICE OF GAME?"
    So I replied with Manny.

I. I can't. I have no excuse. I'm sorry.

Please put me out of my misery and tell me which part this is haha. I had a feeling it's Celso but I don't know haha.
    So the answer to my original question is a very big 'no' then.

How old are ya?

ReputationRep:
    So the answer to my original question is a very big 'no' then.

How old are ya?
    Right.

I'm twenty! and you?

ReputationRep:
    Hello PandaCalavera!

Grim Fandango is on my to-play list!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 571122)
    Hello PandaCalavera!

Grim Fandango is on my to-play list!
    Hello!
    I highly recommend it!

ReputationRep:
    I'm obsessed
    This is an understatement.

ReputationRep:
    What's the gameplay like? Never played it but would like to. Is it a point and click? Never played one. What's good about it besides the story and game world?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bongo Bongo)
    What's the gameplay like? Never played it but would like to. Is it a point and click? Never played one. What's good about it besides the story and game world?
    Honestly the actual controls aren't fantastic. If you're looking for something that's mindless and easy to play then I wouldn't put it at the top of the list. I personally prefer to play it with tank controls (which also gives you a steam achievment) as that's how I originally played it and what I got used to.

The character is moveable with arrow keys/WASD but yeah it's basically point and click. A lot of conversation/dialogue as well.

Truthfully, to enjoy this game it's good to have appreciation for the world, the concept and to get attached to the characters. I personally don't recommend it to anyone who will be impatient to finish or just want an easy game. You have to actually think really hard and for a long time to figure out what you have to do sometimes, but if you're invested in the story it makes the game worth playing.

I would mainly just say to give it a chance. Don't write it off as weird or stupid, it's actually a really great story if you're open to it. You have to bear in mind it's an old game but was considered the best adventure game of its time when it was released.

If you want to get into point and click and Grim Fandango doesn't quite cut it (not fancying the game or it's too hard etc) I would highly suggest The Secret of Monkey Island or the Broken Sword series! Point and clicks are wonderful if you're up for a good story .

ReputationRep:
    Honestly the actual controls aren't fantastic. If you're looking for something that's mindless and easy to play then I wouldn't put it at the top of the list. I personally prefer to play it with tank controls (which also gives you a steam achievment) as that's how I originally played it and what I got used to.

The character is moveable with arrow keys/WASD but yeah it's basically point and click. A lot of conversation/dialogue as well.

Truthfully, to enjoy this game it's good to have appreciation for the world, the concept and to get attached to the characters. I personally don't recommend it to anyone who will be impatient to finish or just want an easy game. You have to actually think really hard and for a long time to figure out what you have to do sometimes, but if you're invested in the story it makes the game worth playing.

I would mainly just say to give it a chance. Don't write it off as weird or stupid, it's actually a really great story if you're open to it. You have to bear in mind it's an old game but was considered the best adventure game of its time when it was released.

If you want to get into point and click and Grim Fandango doesn't quite cut it (not fancying the game or it's too hard etc) I would highly suggest The Secret of Monkey Island or the Broken Sword series! Point and clicks are wonderful if you're up for a good story .
    Thanks, I might give it a go.*

ReputationRep:

Thank you for the explanation! I feel in love with the game already, even though I haven't played it yet! I love these type of games!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 9, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.