Turn on thread page Beta

Rising in the Ranks - Anyone? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone, I was just wondering for everyone who works in retail, does anyone have any idea of how many hours you would need to work to go into more managing roles such as supervisors and at what age is it possible?

I work for a Sainsbury's branch on checkouts and I have been Kiosk trained and Customer Service desk trained, i was just wondering if it would be possible to move up to become more of a supervisor.

If anyone has any experience in working for Sainsbury's or any other supermarkets, plz reply.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    your best asking in the branches you work - since everywhere would be slightly different.

ReputationRep:
    It's really not about the amount of hours you work!! Someone could be working 60 hours a week for the place and still be a mediocre worker. If you are striving for promotion, ask some of the current supervisors/managers. Show some initiative and offer to do things on your own accord without having to be asked. It's not how much you work, but how good the quality of work is. As a (casual) Retail Manager myself at Twickenham Stadium, I always look for those that are dynamic, think outside the box, show initiative and are willing to learn new things.

Demonstrate these properly and it's most likely that your Supervisor/Manager will recognise this and give you credit for it. It could be something as simple as making sure everything you need to get done IS done before you go home, even if it is after your shift, or for example going the extra mile for customer service.

Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad I found this thread, saves me making a new one!

I work for Morrisons, and currently there is a supervisor's vacancy. However, it says to apply IN WRITING and hand it to the Personnel Manager. Exactly what would they be looking for? A letter? My CV? Both? What information would I need to give them? Help would be much appreciated!

However, I agree with The Regend. I always admire my own supervisors for being so dedicated and always going the extra mile for the customer and the store.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    A letter usually when they say in writing - just saying why you think you suit the role.

ReputationRep:
    I work for tesco as well as being at uni and im being developed to get me to a manager position whilst still at university. I've got my team leader interview coming up, so it is possible.
    I work for Morrisons, and currently there is a supervisor's vacancy. However, it says to apply IN WRITING and hand it to the Personnel Manager.
    Normally you just say you are interested in this vacancy and wish to be considered for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harmony)

I work for Morrisons, and currently there is a supervisor's vacancy. However, it says to apply IN WRITING and hand it to the Personnel Manager. Exactly what would they be looking for? A letter? My CV? Both? What information would I need to give them? Help would be much appreciated!
    Not really much need for a CV, they'll know already your performance and responsibilities in your current role. Simply write a formal letter to the Personnel Manager explaining why you think you would be suitable for the job. Say where you found the job advertised, the skills you have developed and how the new role will enhance/develop these skills. Focus on your drive for customer service, communication, organisation and leadership; all of which would be important in a Supervisor role.

Above all, explain to them why it would be beneficial to THEM to have you as a Supervisor. Make yourself stand out from the crowd and ultimately think along the lines of they would benefit from you, not the other way around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Regend)
    Not really much need for a CV, they'll know already your performance and responsibilities in your current role. Simply write a formal letter to the Personnel Manager explaining why you think you would be suitable for the job. Say where you found the job advertised, the skills you have developed and how the new role will enhance/develop these skills. Focus on your drive for customer service, communication, organisation and leadership; all of which would be important in a Supervisor role.

Above all, explain to them why it would be beneficial to THEM to have you as a Supervisor. Make yourself stand out from the crowd and ultimately think along the lines of they would benefit from you, not the other way around.
    That's pretty much what I did. I doubt I'll get it, because I haven't been there long enough, but hopefully if the position comes around again, I'll apply again and they might remember me. However by some stroke of luck, I may just get it. But I'm not getting my hopes up. (I still think I'd make a good supervisor though!)

ReputationRep:
    Never say never! Like I mentioned, I managed to get promoted pretty quickly to a Manager role after a year and (I think) I'm currently the youngest one! They will recognise potential pretty quickly and it's always something good to put on the CV!

ReputationRep:

However, I agree with The Regend. I always admire my own supervisors for being so dedicated and always going the extra mile for the customer and the store.
    I applied for a cash office job at morrisons from checkout op. I asked about it and the personnel manager just said put it in writing, so I asked her what to put.

All that was required was something along the lines of

"I wish to apply for the advertised position of ....... My current position is ....... I am able to adjust my hours to suit the position....."

You'll probably find theres about 5-10 applicants for it, and the checkout manager will have a chat with you about it.

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to work in the cash office, it would be so cool! Have to see where it goes with the supervisor's application.

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to work in the cash office, it would be so cool! Have to see where it goes with the supervisor's application.
    what's so cool about working in the cash office?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hermaphrodite)
    what's so cool about working in the cash office?
    Not having to speak to any customers, and telling all the supervisors and managers what to do, haha.

ReputationRep:
    it just doesnt sound fun counting caash - i assume thats the bulk of the work

ReputationRep:
    Not really, I'd say I spend about half an hour of every day actually counting any cash. Rest of it is paperwork and other stuff I wont go into. Its not exactly fun, but it beats working on tills.

ReputationRep:
    Some stores have a real issue with training young people as Supervisors because they think they aren't the "face customers want to see" if you see what I mean. However if they trained you on CSD then they probably aren't too fussed.

I've been chasing a supervisor job for a while but tbh you need to do a good 25-30 hours a week for it to be worth their while training you. You think the CSD training book is big, it doesn't even compare....

ReputationRep:
    I can imagine. It's a 15 hour vacancy this one, and at the moment, I'm doing way more than that.

ReputationRep:
    I found that it's a question of going that extra mile with customer service, asking to get trained on as many different departments as possible and sucking up to the right people.

I worked for Tescos before going to uni, initially on the shopfloor when I was 16. After 6 months I moved to checkouts as I preferred it and then badgered them to train me on the CSD - some of which I did unpaid! After that I got trained in the garage, cash office, FMC and did some letter writing for the CSM. As soon as I started charming the CSM and my checkout managers, got a job as a checkout team leader (supervisor) when I was 17 - really loved it and was one of the best at the job so did Options programme. Was a manager in the first year of uni (19). Not bad pay as well, I might add!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muse)
    got a job as a checkout team leader (supervisor) when I was 17 - really loved it and was one of the best at the job so did Options programme. Was a manager in the first year of uni (19). Not bad pay as well, I might add!
    More in question with the manager part, were you a part time manager? Im 19 now and should be starting as front end team leader within the next few weeks, i plan to move up to manager by my second year of uni but im not really sure if it's do-able with uni. Help?
    One last thing, did you stay at tesco after uni to move onto senior team?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red_Rose)
    More in question with the manager part, were you a part time manager? Im 19 now and should be starting as front end team leader within the next few weeks, i plan to move up to manager by my second year of uni but im not really sure if it's do-able with uni. Help?
    One last thing, did you stay at tesco after uni to move onto senior team?
    Yeh part-time, 19 hours a week. I wouldn't recommend doing it at uni if you want a career at tesco, may as well wait till you graduate and do the fast track scheme: as you spend the first six months of the graduate scheme doing a section manager's job it's not needed at all.

I'm still at uni doing medicine so no, just did the job cos I liked it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 2, 2007
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.