Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello TSR,

Over the past few weeks I've been (casually) sending out applications to various opportunities posted online on websites such as Reed.co.uk in hopes of earning some money before uni to aid my inevitably ever growing mountain of student debt. So far I've gotten very sparse replies from the employers and I realised I must be doing something wrong - there must be a whole array of reasons since this is the first time I've been looking for work. I'm wondering if anyone has tips for job applications and if this is simply what online job searches are like.

Thank you for reading.

ReputationRep:
    Even if everything is well written, many employers will be reluctant to hire you, unless you gain some experience as a limited working time slave first, ekhem, I mean a volunteer.
    They simply presume, that we are too lazy, too dishonest, and too stupid to perform just any job, unless we have some references from previous one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oniisanitstoobig)
    Hello TSR,

Over the past few weeks I've been (casually) sending out applications to various opportunities posted online on websites such as Reed.co.uk in hopes of earning some money before uni to aid my inevitably ever growing mountain of student debt. So far I've gotten very sparse replies from the employers and I realised I must be doing something wrong - there must be a whole array of reasons since this is the first time I've been looking for work. I'm wondering if anyone has tips for job applications and if this is simply what online job searches are like.

Thank you for reading.
    Quite a few places will be advertising for/taking on Christmas temps soon. So that's worth lookingbinto if u want a job whilst at uni.

ReputationRep:
    Think of it that way: you are one of many who wants to work while studies. Why would I look at your cv differently to others?Make your cv outstanding, that means use inforgrhic or other form of designing cv. Ensure your language isn't cliche either: everyone claims to be hard working punctual and working well as a team.Also make effort and drop cv personally. I hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    Why don' you check out elfely.com. There you can offer any skill or service, be it dog walking, tuition, etc. at any time you can, dedicated to the Kingston area.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Milkround is a jobs board specifically for Graduates and Students. We have jobs to cater for the graduate/studet lifestyle such as: Grad Schemes, Internships, Placements and part time work. Should check it out and see if we've got anything that can help you out.

Alternatively, we're looking to hire some Promotional Assistants at freshers fairs - paid per hour for a couple of days: http://www.milkround.com/job/81332/m...ons-assistant/

ReputationRep:
    When I had no experience I applied to like 15-20 jobs and got offers from 1/2

When I had experience of 2/3 jobs, I applied for 6 jobs and got 6 offers

Experience is key, you will probably have to start at the bottom like a restaurant chain who pay minimum wage

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.