Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So you finally needed a car of your own, eh?

A thread to discuss the ways of getting a car once you've finished school or uni and you have a part time or full time job, or even a few hours a week somewhere, but you have some funds coming in to fund that which we students always crave so much: a car.

The best way to go about it? What to choose? Which insurer to ask?

I'll start it off with these 3 fundamental questions:

Owned, Lease?
    Cheap insurance, cheap price?
    Economical, low tax?

ReputationRep:
    Advice to anyone thinking about getting a car, don't. Not until you're working a full time job

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do you need a car? That would be the first question to ask. Owning a car in the early years is insanely expensive these days. If you lease / get a loan, you are going to be in the hole for at least £100 - £200 a month. Then add the same again on insurance. You need to keep back around £300 for servicing each year and that is before you drive it anywhere. Just think what you could do with that money if you saved it. After a year, you would be £3k - £4k up at least! Holiday? House?

I sacked off my car in favour of a bike about 8 years ago and haven't looked back once. We have the family car, but I don't drive it. In the city, there just is no need for a car. I have a child seat for my kid and panniers for my stuff. I regularly beat friends and family making the same trip. It sucks when it rains, but even in Manchester it doesn't actually rain as much as you imagine.

If you really insist on getting a car, then go for it, but I reckon you could probably get taxis around and still save money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XMaramena)
    So you finally needed a car of your own, eh?

A thread to discuss the ways of getting a car once you've finished school or uni and you have a part time or full time job, or even a few hours a week somewhere, but you have some funds coming in to fund that which we students always crave so much: a car.

The best way to go about it? What to choose? Which insurer to ask?

I'll start it off with these 3 fundamental questions:

Owned, Lease?
    Cheap insurance, cheap price?
    Economical, low tax?
    Insurance depends a lot on the area you live in, in England at least like everything else it is a postcode lottery.

For a first car, generally it is better to buy a 2nd hand one outright rather than to lease one, It could however be an option to finance one through a company that would give free insurance if you live in a bad postcode and require a car for work.

Economical and low tax, unless you will be driving into the London congestion charging zone, it is unlikely that you'd save any money on buying a no-tax car. Personally I won't recommend buying a car that is more than 5 years old as beyond these the difference in safety technology is fairly apparent.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.