The Student Room Group

Would i be at a disadvantage if I don't take an essay based subject at a level?

I'm starting my A levels on Monday and I'm still unsure on what subjects I should take(quite scary:biggrin:). Right now I'm thinking of Biology, Chemistry and Maths, but I'm concerned as to whether it would be better for me to take an essay based subject such as history or English instead of maths, so they're more varied and show different skills.
In uni im thinking of studying medicine, but I've also considered criminology and psychology and I've read that to study these at good universities they like to see essay based subjects.
So without going on too much, I just want see what you guys think, should I replace maths with an essay based subject? Or should I take it as a fourth a level? Even though our sixth form discourages us from it
I'm really not sure and any feed back would be really helpful!!:smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by eva1703
I'm starting my A levels on Monday and I'm still unsure on what subjects I should take(quite scary:biggrin:). Right now I'm thinking of Biology, Chemistry and Maths, but I'm concerned as to whether it would be better for me to take an essay based subject such as history or English instead of maths, so they're more varied and show different skills.
In uni im thinking of studying medicine, but I've also considered criminology and psychology and I've read that to study these at good universities they like to see essay based subjects.
So without going on too much, I just want see what you guys think, should I replace maths with an essay based subject? Or should I take it as a fourth a level? Even though our sixth form discourages us from it

This is irrelevant but I read through what you wrote and everything is exactly the same as me! Same subjects, same thoughts, same university ideas 😂 But back to the point, I think Universities value Sciences and Maths more than English if you're considering Medicine, but if you are unsure then taking English would be a safer option as if you change your mind in the future you can perhaps take a course that requires English too. I'm not sure though so if I'm wrong someone correct me please :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Darlia
This is irrelevant but I read through what you wrote and everything is exactly the same as me! Same subjects, same thoughts, same university ideas 😂 But back to the point, I think Universities value Sciences and Maths more than English if you're considering Medicine, but if you are unsure then taking English would be a safer option as if you change your mind in the future you can perhaps take a course that requires English too. I'm not sure though so if I'm wrong someone correct me please :smile:

If you don't mind me asking, are you starting your a levels too or are you already doing them?:smile: Yeah, I agree it would be much safer to take English but then I feel like maths would come in a lot more useful in the future:biggrin: thank you!
Reply 3
Original post by eva1703
If you don't mind me asking, are you starting your a levels too or are you already doing them?:smile: Yeah, I agree it would be much safer to take English but then I feel like maths would come in a lot more useful in the future:biggrin: thank you!

I am also starting my A-Levels *\(^o^)/*

1) Chemistry, biology and either maths or physics (or both) will keep all the medical schools open to you.

2) If you don't take maths or physics but do take chemistry and biology, it will keep open the vast majority. (Go research which University will let you study without Maths).

3) English and/or Psychology as an extra A Level because you believe you are passionate enough to study the subject well enough to come out with the grades you want to study at in whichever you University you decide to go to.

Good Luck
No.
Original post by eva1703

What sort of subjects are you considering at university - unless you're wanting to apply for an essay heavy course then your A levels should be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest