Turn on thread page Beta

Do you need glasses due to spending too much time on tsr/internet watch

ReputationRep:
    I went to the opticians today, been 5 years since I had my eyes checked. Over these years I have spent a lot of time on the internet/pc as a whole. I got to do I was short sighted but I don't need glasses yet unless I struggle to see say in lectures or road signs or something. Just wondering how many of you need glasses and whether this is caused by spending too much time on here?

ReputationRep:
    I wear glasses but Ive recently had laser eye treatment. So now I can fire lasers out of my eyes :p:

Anyway my eyes were fine till I was about 7 & then they just went really bad. I didnt have a computer at the time so it couldnt have been that. Your eyes can deteriorate for a number of reasons, its not just PC based.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, mine's due to reading books :p:

ReputationRep:
    How much is this laser treatment thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dadamafia)
    How much is this laser treatment thing?
    The cheapest Ive seen was about £400 an eye.

ReputationRep:
    Oh definately from being on the computer way too much =|

ReputationRep:
    Yes, definately. Too many computer games!

ReputationRep:
    I got glasses before I had a computer, so no. But my Dad has glasses because of his excessive computer use (it's his job, though).

ReputationRep:
    I need glasses but whether or not it's from being online is debateable. It's probably a factor, as I've been a computer geek since I was a little kid...I can't ever remember not having a computer at my dads. I'm online all day, pretty much every day, and at college I did computing and graphics, so I was on a computer most days at college too. My parents both have bad eyesight though so I'm sure it's partly genetic too.

ReputationRep:
    someone said to me you should have breaks after every half hour on your pc or you get blind by the ago of 30!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dadamafia)
    someone said to me you should have breaks after every half hour on your pc or you get blind by the ago of 30!
    Thats *******s, has anyone actually ever gone to the opticians and come out having been told they don't need glasses?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NW8_SW1_EC3)
    Thats *******s, has anyone actually ever gone to the opticians and come out having been told they don't need glasses?
    True but the majority of people go to the opticians knowing everything ain't 20/20.

ReputationRep:
    There is no evidence to suggest elongated periods of PC use do damage to your eyes(says my optician at the institute of optometry). If you've got glasses, look to your parents before blaming your PC. If either of them have glasses/bad eyesight, there's your cause.

ReputationRep:
    My mum didnt need glasses till she was over 45, I needed them at 17 and my brother at 18. Both of us spent wayyy to much time on the comp.

ReputationRep:
    yes, my dad is 50 and only just got glasses, had 20/20 before that all his life.

mine are probably more from books than pc, never had pc growing up but always was reading books.

ReputationRep:
    Me. But then I only really go for posterity, i know I have better than 20/20 vision before I go.

ReputationRep:
    my myopia and astigmatism is purely down to crappy inherited eyesight from my father.

had glasses since i was about 10 or 11 but only needed to start wearing them all the time when i was about 17 or 18. wear contact lenses these days which are good.

ReputationRep:
    dadamafia, your story is exactly like mine, five years ago i was fine and now i got problems reading/seeing distanced things. got a pair of glasses i barely take out of my drawer. honestly i wouldnt be able to read a number plate 5 meters away :>.<:.

apperently i was getting severe headaches and my gp advised me to go and take an eye test. the result was that my left eye was "weaker" and when concentrating/reading my left eye would would contract more than the right one and that would cause a headache. ended up with two pairs of glasses dusted in my drawer .

wen i walk down the street i keep confusing nice chicks with 'not so nice' chicks :shy2:.

ReputationRep:
    whats 20/20?

ReputationRep:
    I have glasses for the purpose of reading and using the computer... don't know if that caused it but whatever! Anyway i keep forgetting to wear them lol.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.