UK Top-10 Rankings Watch

IR Postgraduate
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
A friend back in the US has asked about top-10 universities in the UK. I explained some of the problems associated with ranking UK universities, including the fact that a number of different rankings are available. It seems that the Good University Guide and the Guardian, though, are two of the most widely discussed. A consolidation of their most recent rankings (assuming the numbers posted on the Good University Guide page reflect rank) look like the following:

1. Cambridge (Tie)
1. Oxford (Tie)
3. Imperial
4. St Andrews
5. LSE
6. UCL
7. Warwick
8. Bath
9. Loughbrough
10. Bristol

Any thoughts on this ranking? Also, how do you think the UK top-10 would compare to US top-10?
Agamemnon
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by IR Postgraduate)
A friend back in the US has asked about top-10 universities in the UK. I explained some of the problems associated with ranking UK universities, including the fact that a number of different rankings are available. It seems that the Good University Guide and the Guardian, though, are two of the most widely discussed. A consolidation of their most recent rankings (assuming the numbers posted on the Good University Guide page reflect rank) look like the following:

1. Cambridge (Tie)
1. Oxford (Tie)
3. Imperial
4. St Andrews
5. LSE
6. UCL
7. Warwick
8. Bath
9. Loughbrough
10. Bristol

Any thoughts on this ranking? Also, how do you think the UK top-10 would compare to US top-10?
This kind of thread will go on forever. You may find some answers using the search function.

However, I would say that's a fairly accurate list, except for Loughbrough, which most people would not consider to be in the top 10, in terms of general prestige, although it is very good for certain subjects.
Dionysus
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Loughbrough? You can't be serious! No offence to people studying there, but I can think of at least 15 Universities that are better.

I would say the top 10 are:

1. Oxford
2. Cambridge
3. LSE
4. Imperial
5. UCL
6. Warwick
7. St Andrews
8. Durham
9. Bristol
10. York

I've probably missed some though.
shady lane
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I personally do not believe that St. Andrews is the #4 university in the UK.
dadamafia
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Whats so good about warwick?
HJV
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by dadamafia)
There's nothing else to do than studying so people end up smarter :p:
simon123
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by dadamafia)
your guess is as good as mine. I think it is very strong in economics maths etc , subjects that lead onto careers with greater ease which boosts its rep. For traditional arts subjects I would still say Bristol/Durham/York/Nottingham are definatly on a par

This thread could go on for ever seriously!

The general consensus is essentially this

Oxford/Cambridge
LSE/Imperial
UCL/Warwick
Bristol/Durham/Nottingham/York/Kings College/Edinbrugh

Think that generally sums up there or there abouts peoples general perceptions of the top 10-12 uni`s. Also if you want to use rankings I would guard against using just 1 or 2 years as universitys generally move around a few places year on year. This link shows the tables for a number of years so is maybe a little more consistant although saying that not sure how old this is as Birmingham is in top 12 even thogh it has been 30ish for the past to years but here are the universites making up the top 13 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/League_...h_Universities

University of Oxford
University of Cambridge
Imperial College London
London School of Economics and Political Science
University College London
University of Warwick
University of Birmingham
University of Bristol
University of Durham
University of Edinburgh
University of Nottingham
University of St. Andrews
University of York
The Boosh
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
oh god, somebody close this thread quick. please, just close it.
IR Postgraduate
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
(Original post by The Boosh)
oh god, somebody close this thread quick. please, just close it.
Why? I think measuring prestige in relation to quantitative indicators could be an interesting research project.

A time lag exists between universities' quantitative improvements and the public's (or maybe just those on TSR) perception of quality. Most people, though, have limited firsthand experience with many of the universities on which they pass judgement. Identifying what influences this lag and these judgements could help one to better understand how people value different types of information.
bluenoxid
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The top 10 universities is a very tetchy subject on here

WHERE THE ******* IS THE UNIVERSITY OF BUMS ON SEATS GUYS

If your mate wants to know about which uni to go to, then point him towards a subject, that will be more precise. If he just wants to know, point out that the top 10 can and does vary year on year and depending on subject. There are universities with higher than the rest reputations, but we could argue about this for days.
LatinMachine
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by HJV)
There's nothing else to do than studying so people end up smarter :p:
Actually, Leamington Spa is quite a happening place I never thought I'd go clubbing in Leamington Spa, but I did, and it was fun!
Astor
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
What about Manchester? I thought that was better than Notts.
apotoftea
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by PsychologyJen)
Actually, Leamington Spa is quite a happening place I never thought I'd go clubbing in Leamington Spa, but I did, and it was fun!
Not to mention Kenilworth's got one or two nice pubs to eat and sit in all evening
Ezekiel
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Loughbrough is 6th for the Times up urs Loughbrough haters (tis my insurance)
tinypony
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Who cares which is best, as long as you learn something at whichever university you attend.
Yes, I'm awaiting unfounded criticism from insecure people who get a sense of reassurance by putting other people down due to the university they attend.
What's worse, a lot of people posting their opinions haven't even started their course, and thus have no clue about what they're saying.
simon123
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Ezekiel)
Loughbrough is 6th for the Times up urs Loughbrough haters (tis my insurance)
yes but most just see it as an anomili really, it is good in certain areas, but not as good in general as the rankings make out
Dionysus
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Siddhartha)
Who cares which is best, as long as you learn something at whichever university you attend.
Yes, but you are at Oxford, so you WOULD say that, wouldn't you! :p: But seriously, unfortunately it DOES matter what University you go to. OK, not everyone has to go to Oxford to be successful, but it would be very naiive to suggest that a degree from a bottom-end university is equally valuable in the job market.
Ezekiel
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by simon123)
yes but most just see it as an anomili really, it is good in certain areas, but not as good in general as the rankings make out
Why would the times make such a massive **** up though?
simon123
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Ezekiel)
Why would the times make such a massive **** up though?
Well they wont have done, it will be the criteria used to base the tables upon that I feel has for whatever reason a slight bias towards Lougbrough, Exeter etc and undermarks traditional red bricks such as Manchester, Manchester was ranked 31 and it clearly is not that.
Ezekiel
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by simon123)
Well they wont have done, it will be the criteria used to base the tables upon that I feel has for whatever reason a slight bias towards Lougbrough, Exeter etc and undermarks traditional red bricks such as Manchester, Manchester was ranked 31 and it clearly is not that.
Why isn't it 31? Because you say so?
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (169)
18.61%
No (553)
60.9%
Not really bothered about them (186)
20.48%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise